"The Box" - A Short History Thereof

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
With the recent resurrection of "The Box" thread, I though it might be wise to give a short "history lesson" for the members who have joined since "The Box" was last a hot topic.

It all started when Model Railroader ran an article about a club whose members all had a polar bear somewhere on their layout - it may have been part of a ice cream stand or diner or something, I forget. Someone proposed that members of The Gauge could also have some sort of a common thing on their layouts.

After much discussion, and considering the fact that members have layouts ranging in size and scale from small to large, in era from early steam to modern day, and in development from almost complete to a mental image, "The Box" was decided upon (as much as we can ever decide on anything around here!)

So what is "The Box"? It's simply a box that has the word "Gauge" (or "The Gauge") on it. Size is not specified, nor is color nor is location. It can be a flat car load, or a shipping crate located on a freight platform, or where and what ever a box-like thing would logically (or illogically) go and be. It can even be a desk ornament if you don't have a layout to put it on (yet).

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
My 4 Cents

Billk ---- Execellant description!!! Should we also mention that we kinda got it together as an advertisement to this BB and also, to spark even more interest in our fine hobby??

The Box has taken on a life of it's own, and given us a foothold to create stories & situations to entertain ourselves and each other. Something that is not seen much on the internet BB's.. :) :D :)

I know I enjoy reading & creating short stories.. :)

~~ Mikey - Guardian of the G Scale "Box" :)

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Good points, Mikey. And one more thing - listen up everybody - you don't need permission to make your own Box, and there are no instructions (it's just a box, jeez!) So just do it.

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
What "G" Scale Box. There's never been a "G" Scale Box. It must be an imposter, ORRRRR, you now see what some of that embalming fluid has done to our wee HO scale box. It has become bloated :D :D

No longer will a wee dram suffice to take care of our suffering, it's going to take a real belt of that stuff:cool: :cool:

Whatever. As that famous Australian railroad tycoon would likely say in a situation such as this.......TOOT:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bob

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
It has become bloated !
No longer will a wee dram suffice to take care of our suffering, it's going to take a real belt of that stuff
Thar she blows !
Where away !
Three points to larboard !
Lower away me boat !, Pull me hearties, put your backs into it, we're close now, hand me my harpoon, steady now...PULL !
Now ! I grapple with thee..... Moby Box !!!