The Blackwater division's latest power

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Here they are, The Blackwater division's latest motive power 2 athearn GP-7s I removed the steam generators and added the CN spark arrestors, grab irons, high-hood bells and MU lines. I repainted them and added microscale decals (decaling the ends was murder!)
adm.jpg

here's a close-up of #4818
adl.jpg

I realize that the proto 2000 models are better detailed but while I was working on these the Blackwater division was in a budget crunch!
I also added a CP shorty caboose
adq.jpg

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
It looks like an MDC job. Am I correct? It is very sweet
Thanks It is an MDC with a section cut out of the middle. There is a prototype though. The CPR in Trail BC found they could add one more ore car on the smelter switchback if they shortened the cabbose. They modified two for just that purpose.

bigdonnie

Oct 4, 2004
Glen:

Do you happen to know when CP would have stopped using these short cabooses (cabeese?) in Trail. I worked in the smelter from '74-77 and I have a vague memory of seeing these while there.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I'm not sure when they were scrapped. You might try to track down one of the very first issues of Canadian railway Modeler. It has a cover story of how to shorten the caboose and some background infromation on the prototype.
Anyway the two were originaly built in the 1930's and shortened in 1944. In their truncated form they measured a mere 24'10"
here's mine under construction (the gap in the roof was covered by homemade tarpaper roofing.)
abz.sized.jpg

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Very nice Glen, I've been waiting to see these since you mentioned them awhile back, nice job. I just keep my Athearn away from the scale hood ones or run them with F units and it isn't as noticeable on the wide hoods.

Great job on the others, too!