"The Black Hole"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mifune73, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Mifune73

Mifune73 Member

I found a post from a year or so back where Getter1 was looking for any models that had been designed from the atrociously inaccurate (at least the visuals were nice) Disney film "The Black Hole". Either of the ships, the U.S.S. Cygnus or the U.S.S. Palomino would look awesome in paper. The robots (especially Maximillian) would be a treat as well. Anyone heard anything or seen anything out there? Anyone? Any...(fades to event horizon...)
  2. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Only meshes so far

I have found 3D meshes of the Cygnus, but no models or other figures so far. I actually have a plastic kit of the Cygnus that I built years ago after seeing the movie, and I have the movie on VHS as well. Coincidentally I just dug the movie out this weekend thinking I might watch it one day soon.

I'm sure models will turn up eventually. It gets requested regularly.

3. What's VHS?????????:confused::confused::confused::confused:sign1
  4. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Basically video tape. The big black things you stick in VCRs(Video Cassette Recorders).

I'd sure like a Cygnus. It would beat the heck out of trying to find the old MPC kit on eBay.
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

VHS is like Betamax... muahahahaha

The Cygnus would be 50/50 ... either very easy or very difficult as it was mostly mesh superstructure.
  6. ajmadison

ajmadison Member

You're probably way ahead of me, but as I recall, according to a Starship Modeler article, you'll either need good casting skills, or you'll need to find two copies of the old MPC kit. There is a missing 'segment' in the Cygnus model, best fixed by grafting a cut-out from an extra model.

ARMORMAN Guest

there'a a thread over at starshipbuilder.com. This guy's working on the Cygnus....gotta see it to believe it.
  8. Mifune73

Mifune73 Member

Starship Modeler - Cygnus from The Black Hole

Read what happened to one of the original movie props. Reminds me of what happened to someone's custom Millennium Falcon...:cry:

I think the Palomino would definitely be easier to convert a mesh and skin from, but damn if the Cygnus isn't a fine looking ship!
  9. Mifune73

Mifune73 Member

YouTube - The Black Hole - Space Sequences Tribute

Nice external reference shots. Plus the flaming meteor "Indiana Jones" sequence is worth a laugh or two...

Plus, on the robot front:

MPC Maximillian The Black Hole Robot 11" Tall w/Stand - (eBay item 290186797259 end time Dec-05-07 19:05:35 PST)

Walt Disney Robot Model VINCENT~THE BLACK HOLE 1979 NEW - (eBay item 110199806738 end time Dec-04-07 16:04:01 PST)

The part that infuriates me, is that I had both of the robot models and the Cygnus model growing up (I remember begging my grandmother to buy them for me), and somewhere along the line (as with most things), they simply disappeared. But the Maximilian price jumps up towards the end of the bid...
  10. I believe that it would be really simple just to use texturing to simulate the framework. I may be wrong but it would make for an awesome model.
  11. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

In Brazil it is still possible to find in stock tips VCR's new hehehehe! But I didn't come undone of mine have many movies in VHS format among them Tron and The Last Starfighter ;)

I never saw the meshe of Palomino but the one of Cygnus exists a mod of Starfleet Command think it is usable...
  12. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Yeah, I'm way ahead of you. :wink: In fact, I would never have known about "The Black Hole" in the first place if it hadn't been for that article. I'd just cast the section myself rather than buy an extra kit, though it would be nice to have something to practice on.
  13. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Or not.

Or you could just leave it. It looks just fine without the extra section, and if you haven't seen the movie in years, you might not even notice.

Oh yeah, and I have a mesh of this ship as well - or did I mention that already?

Attached Files:

14. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Seems to me that Gearz had also started a mesh of the Cygnus. IIRC, he sent a copy to me, but I lost it in my HD crash a couple of months ago.

Scott K.