The "big C" -Kato Models

Virginian

Jan 27, 2001
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Visit site
Hi Y'all...long time no type...
Hey, can anyone give some info. on what might be the source of "Cancer causing materials" in my new Kato Caboose (a little N gauge Cupola...undecorated, standard Box car Brown/Red...I'm suspecting a pigment in the paint, or perhaps lead, or maybe it's a solvent in the paint...I bought the little dear( finally!!) here in California, where the state requires labeling if ANY carcinogens were used in manufacture of any product sold.
I have grand children who will be handling my trains when they come to vist (a bit down the pike..the eldest is just four...the other two just starting to walk, I'm told!!) I don't want to expose them to any toxics....for obvious reasons....
Any ideas??? I will try to contact Kato, if I can locate a customer service web site or a phone #.
Thanks
VGN

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
IMHO, The California labeling laws are ridiculous, they only serve to make people ignore them (like the boy who cried wolf). I do not know the answer to your question, but wouldn't be concerned. In the words of a Joe Jackson song, "everything causes cancer, there's no cure, there's no answer, everything causes cancer." And yes, when used in other states, these products are fine.

Gary

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Are they afraid we're going to EAT our rolling stock??
Or roll it up, & smoke it, perhaps? :D
The best warning lable I've heard of lately is the one on the iron that says, "Never iron clothes while they are being worn.":D :D

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Good one Charlie... It's called "covering one's butt"!!!

VGN, If the Kato has a metal weight in it, it might be cadmium plated or some other plating to prevent oxidation (rusting). Such plating is only a few microns thick, but, if it exists in the product then the label must say there is a hazzard. Perhaps the wheels (if they are metal) have plating on them.
Errol

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
cancer in rats

Feeding any creature twice it's own body weight of any substance will cause cancer. If the little ones don't actually eat the metal portions of your rolling stock or engines it should pose no threat. Thier exposure to MTBE (Government mandated cancer causing gasoline additive) over the last few years is much worse than any of the metals or coatings used in manufacturing models. Int he case of the caboose, the carcinogine was most likely mold release used in injection molding to prevent parts sticking.