The best I can get with the space I got

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Here's the future , The center section has already been built as two modules/ dioramas and I spent so much time building them that I don't want to tear them up so I designed the rest on the layout around them. The curves will be either 18" or 20" since I only have about 16' and I want to be able to run a train in a loop. I could have gone with 22" curves but then the city scene would have to be axed due to how much space wider curves would take up (catch 22 I believe) I ferry dock might be longer or shorter than what you see. only the mainline is to scale. I just scetched in the other trackwork.
The mainline will be partialy dual guage track since I dabble in a little narrow guage here and there. The logging area will be determined when the benchwork and track for the mainline will be laid so I get a 'feel' for how much room I actually have. It's hard to get an acurate picture looking an an empty room and a layout scematic.
abl.sized.jpg

What do you guys think?

Hi Glen,

Do you have access to the back side? If not, it's pretty wide there for reach-in,
especially in the corners.

My personal preference woul be to double the mainline, even if it would require
scabbing onto the front of the module. I just like the appearance. Try 19-1/2"r
inside 22"r. I think you could still fit your cities, etc. :) :)

You could also push the modules back closer to the wall and return the mainline
where you show "backdrop." The ells on the sides would get a lot longer. :thumb:

Have you tried the RTS or other track software? It helps especially with the
turnouts which always seem to take up more space than you figured, at
least with me!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I will have access to the back side, there will be a gap between the backdrop and the return track in the back and I plan to have a trap door in the corner. Since I'm modeling a branchline in north/central BC I decided not to double track, even still I have considered double tracking the hidden track behind the backdrop, for extra car storage or a passing siding. also I have a maximum of 6'6" width that I have to live with.
I tried the atlas software but found it easier to just sit down with a ruler, compass and graph paper. The track plan has a few inches 'breathing room' in case anything pops up during construction.

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Glen, you might also consider making your turnback curve on the right side go directly from the water tower, behind the engine house, and into the hidden track. You could then make your city scene and ferry terminal along a spur that would turn off from the mainline near the water tower and be built on the ell shelf on the right side. You would still have the continuous run, but could use bigger curves and have more room for your ferry, city, and, perhaps some industries on the shelf.

John

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
If I ran a just a spur off the mainline It would still take almost as much space wouldn't it? (maybe saveing 6" in length) But, since I only have 6'6" to work with on the city side, it would be difficult to pull any decent train and make a passing siding work in that small area. I think then we would be getting into width problems, instead of length problems.