The beginning

LocoIndy76

Jan 6, 2007
Greenfield, In
I am definitely new at this, but here is the start of my layout. I am VERY limited on space. I have it on a 4X6 where coffee table would normally be. I mounted 2x4's under the plywood to prevent warping. I cut small lines near power and switches to get wires out of the way. Still have to work on getting wires tied up and out of way underneath and the power wires on top near control. The pieces of paper at end of tracks are going to be DPM Trackside Transfers. I drive SEMI's and I want to have something I can relate to and I thought that would be my best choice. I am planning on having a two-lane road near end of track for entrance to "trailer and semi yard" and transfer buildings, and a 4 laner on the bottom running along the edge of plywood. Probably going to have retention pond in large circular area and a house off two-laner and resturant off of 4 laner. As you can see I have the beginning of a "Intermodel" train on siding at top. That siding and that part of regular track will be covered by hillside(tunnel) so the "Intermodel" train is only visible while runnning and hidden when I running the boxcar train "making deliveries"

PLease tell me what you think, and any ideas or advice you have... But please be "gentle" like I said this is my 1st attempt! :D :eek:ops:

DSC01829.jpg

umtrr-author

Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
That S-curve in the top right hand corner might cause you some "issues" later. I'd grab one of the straight sections from that far end of the loop and move it to the near end of the loop (just ahead of the terminal/rerailer track) to smooth out the loop. I realize that you're thinking of a 4 lane road in front of that track but I think it will still fit.

One of the disadvantages of sectional track (not just EZ-Track) is that you're limited to what you can construct with it. Otherwise, that long straight section would have been ideal for some very gentle back and forth curves to break up the straight line.

Great start! 4x6 is actually more space than many of us have started with! :thumb:

LocoIndy76

Jan 6, 2007
Greenfield, In
umtrr-author said:
That S-curve in the top right hand corner might cause you some "issues" later. I'd grab one of the straight sections from that far end of the loop and move it to the near end of the loop (just ahead of the terminal/rerailer track) to smooth out the loop. I realize that you're thinking of a 4 lane road in front of that track but I think it will still fit.

One of the disadvantages of sectional track (not just EZ-Track) is that you're limited to what you can construct with it. Otherwise, that long straight section would have been ideal for some very gentle back and forth curves to break up the straight line.

Great start! 4x6 is actually more space than many of us have started with! :thumb:

Thanks for the response! :thumb:
What problems can it cause? So far I haven't had problems, but I know different set-ups have different problems.... Both the tracks in the center stop, In the pic it looks like it connects to the tophalf of the track, but it doesn't. I have them capped with a bumper, because that is where they'll unload at the transfer building. So Far, none of my trains have any problems getting through the S-curve...... Thank you though for the Heads-up, I will see if something else works better

TruckLover said:
Nice, I see you got the KATO Double stacks, those are AWSOME

Good start, can't wait to see more
thumbsup.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the comments! :)

Actually they are not Kato's...... One is a RoundHouse husky stacker with Con-Cor 45' BNSF Containers, and the other is a Con-cor with a 48' and a 53' Santa Fe container. There is also another Con-Cor flat-bed with 48' EMP containers laying flat instead of stacked...... I have looked at the Kato's and will probably end up getting them..... The cost more, but look more realistic......:D

LocoIndy76

Jan 6, 2007
Greenfield, In
Chaparral said:
!!
hamr
How do you guys get to the stuff 2 feet away and backwards to you ?

I can reach all of mine. It is only 4X6 and is only at knee level so I can walk all the way around and get to anything I need too... :thumb:

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
One definite truth is that we all have too small space for our empires but you have done a interesting layout that could give you plenty of interesting traffic and plenty of room for the landscape :)
Good work so far and I hope you keep us up to date with your progress :wave: