The Beginning of the Tennessee & Western

TN_Trainman

Nov 14, 2006
Hello to the Gauge, well I finally got to start on the Tennessee & Western benchwork tonight, and I am soooooooooooooo pleased :) . The TN & W is being built in a 16 ft x 9 ft shed I decided on an all the way around track plan with a bridge and river section that will raise so you can enter and exit the building.

Tonight my sons and I manged to build 1/3 of the layout bench work, and if the weather is bad this weekend hopefully we can get the long section of the layout up (10 foot x 3 ft section) along the back wall.

Anyway here is the first pic.

All I can say is WOOOHOOOO:thumb: :thumb:

Attachments

• Tennessee & Western.jpg
    Tennessee & Western.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 749

TN_Trainman

Nov 14, 2006
Well I used 1x4 for the benchwork and 2x4 for the legs, the only reason I used the 2x4's is because I had them as surplus ,as I am a GM of an Elect & Plumb and Remodeling Company sometimes we have ruff 2x4's that will not cut it in a home so I get to go through the scrap pile for anything I can use. I was worried and in honesty still am at the heigth I have placed it (48 inches) but the more I look at it the more I like it, so I hope it works out.

TN Trainman

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I have a mix of 2X2 and 2X4 for the legs on my layout and mine is also at 48". I like the height of mine but I'm also above average height so I can reach everything. I've actually toyed with the Idea of raising the layout another 6" but I'll hold off of that for now.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
If you ever have to access that electrical control box on the wall in back of the layout, you'll wish the layout was higher than 48 inches, but as you are crawling under the layout to get to the box you will definately be glad it isn't any lower!

TN_Trainman

Nov 14, 2006
Yep that Breaker Box was and is a thorn in my side, but that is why I left that open area to crawl under and be able to reach it. I had MUCH rather used that open area for another foot of operating space :thumb: . But hey we have to give and take right?

TN_Trainman

Nov 14, 2006
More Pics of the Tennessee & Western

Hello unto all, well the weather was SUPER here today in the low 60's, and it gave me even MORE incentive to work on the T&W (like I needed any!!) My sons and I compleated the back section today and got the river section cut in. Next weekend I hope to get the final benchwork done if at all possible.

Take a look and let me know what ya think!!!

Attachments

• End View.jpg
    End View.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 676
  • Little Duck 2.jpg
    Little Duck 2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 620
  • Little Duck River.jpg
    Little Duck River.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 622
  • New Part.jpg
    New Part.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 612

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
Tn, I don't know where you live, but I will be glad to trade.:D It did not get above 30 here today. Anyhow, your layout looks good. It is nice to see somebody using cookiecutter. One thing I would like to suggest. All screws from the bottom. The first time you have to rip up half your scenery to get at one screw, you will be glad you did.

Loren

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
This is a VERY nice beginning to what is shaping up to be a VERY nice layout. I'm envious and can't wait to see more.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Looking good TN! I see a river taking shape there but that's not the section that lifts out, right? I'll be interested to see how you create that lift out section. Nice work!
Ralph

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
The surveyors are going to have their work cut out for them with that river in their way!
How thick is that plywood? From here it looks like you could curl up and take a nap in it!

TN_Trainman

Nov 14, 2006
Thanks, for all the complements guys, if the Lord is willing and the creek don’t rise I hope to get the last section in next weekend. Ralph to answer your question, you are correct that is not the section that will raise up, that section of the layout will be right in front of the door that enters the shed. I have several ideas for the design on it but I will just have to mock a couple up and see how they work.

Glen the thickness of the plywood and the Particle board is ½ inch thick, I know several books suggest using ¾ but I could just not see using that thick of a board. We use ¾ in sub floors in remodeling and that withstands people who weigh considerably more that a locomotive and cars. So I went with ½ which I believe will work fine.

This is the bridge I am considering to build by the door entrance; the actual bridge is about 25 miles up the road from me on the old L&N Sparta branch line, which now is owned by the Caney Fork & Western Short line.

Attachments

• McMinnville.jpg
    McMinnville.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 572

TN_Trainman

Nov 14, 2006
Hello All, well the last part of my benchwork for the Tennessee and Western is in, we finished the 28 in by 9ft section this afternoon, we also applied the first layer of foam to the layout.

I also pinned some track to the foam to give me an idea of how the yard and engine service area would look.

The first picture is of the latest section of the layout, this area will rise 10 inches above the lowest area of the layout.

The second picture is of freight yard and roundhouse area along with the 2nd part of the layout I done a couple weeks ago.

Third picture is where the King Lumber and Sawmill will be placed, the single stall enginehouse is for their Shay.

Fourth Picture is of the yard area as well.

Fifth picture is where the removable section of the layout will be, I will be working on it either tomorrow or next week.

Let me know what ya think.

Attachments

• TW3.jpg
    TW3.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 517
  • TW4.jpg
    TW4.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 511
  • TW7.jpg
    TW7.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 503
  • TW5.jpg
    TW5.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 498
  • TW8.jpg
    TW8.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 506

TN_Trainman

Nov 14, 2006
Well work yesterday was a little slow, but we managed to figure out how we wanted the mine to set, and how we could wrap the main line behind the mine..(I know it dont seem like much of a task, but it was) here are a few pictures...hope to do more next week.

Thanks to all for the comments and help

George

Attachments

• Part4.jpg
    Part4.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 403
  • work4a.jpg
    work4a.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 406

radar

Jan 14, 2007
wichita , KS
Looking real good like minds think a'like

Attachments

• new bench005.jpg
    new bench005.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 400
  • trainsrunnig004.jpg
    trainsrunnig004.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 335
  • photo trains004.jpg
    photo trains004.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 382

TN_Trainman

Nov 14, 2006
Radar, yep it seems that we are on the same track (no pun intended) my hope was to include several city blocks in the layout but I dont think it is gonna happen, (or not as much as I envisioned anyway) I was pretty pleased with what we done Saturday, but the trackplan for the freight yard and engine service area is stilll giving me some trouble. but I hope to work that out tonigt or tomorrow if its not too cold (only have a space heater in the shed for now)

Anyway thanks for the look and the comment!

George

TN_Trainman

Nov 14, 2006
Update 04/17/07

Hello unto all, well it has been a while and I just wanted to post a few pics of where the Tennessee & Western is at. I am concertrating on working it 3 to 4 feet at a time as well as getting the hardest area to reach done first, which is the Coal mine area.

Tonight my sons and I did the plaster paris and paper towels to get the river bed and banks started, we also set the Coal mine in place and laid out how the track that will service it, then the best part we ran the K-4 on the short amount of track I have laid.

It was NICE to see it run, let me know you thoughts as allways and Happy Rail Roading!!!!

Attachments

• Coal Mine 1.jpg
    Coal Mine 1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 338
  • Coal Mine 2.jpg
    Coal Mine 2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 288
  • CM3.jpg
    CM3.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 282
  • K4 Coming.jpg
    K4 Coming.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 325
  • River.jpg
    River.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 282

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Wow! Great progress. This is shaping up to be a really nice layout. All the work is paying off.

Did you consider moving that electrical panel. All the wiring looks fairly small, you could put a junction box there and extend the wires to get the panel in a better location?

I haven't let on yet, but my shelf layout actually goes in front of an electrical panel, the shelf in that area is a section that can be removed if I need in the box. I can still get to the breakers without removing anything. The shelf in front isn't exactly meeting Code requirements for workspace and access, but what the hey, the authority having jurisdiction on the project (me) gave it a thumbs up!