The Bachmann warranty

jr switch

Just had a quick question for any of you that have used the manufacturer's warranty. Several times Iv'e seen threads that comment on sending something back in to have it repaired or replaced. Iv'e heard from this forum and from a number of hobby shop owners that Bachmann is real good about standing behind their product and their website seems to confirm this.
I finally got thru to them today and was told that the engines I shipped to them have been received and are scheduled for repair. I was told it will be at least 6 weeks. Is this a little long or does it usually take awhile?
How are the others on warranties and turn-around time? IHC? Broadway Limited? Athearn? Mantua?. I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect because I have three or four others that are not Bachmann. The IHC, Broadway Limited, and Mantua are all running fine now, but who knows---------John

ezdays

Out AZ way
Don't know about HO, but I sent in a G scale loco and tender and they had it back to me in less than four weeks. It was out of warrenty, so I sent in a check to cover the cost as explained on their web site. I got a call about two weeks later and they told me what the parts cost would be, also as stated on their web site. I sent in a check for the difference and called them a week later to find out how it shipped. A day or so later the unit arrived by UPS. It could be that in your case they don't have the parts they need in stock.They treated me like I was an old friend and went out of their way to help me. Absolutly impressive service, and I'm sure they treat everyone this way.

I'm totally pleased since they paid for the shipping and I saw that they even replaced a few parts, like a missing wheel and a door, and didn't charge me for those parts.

BTW, the engine runs like new.:thumb:.:thumb:.:thumb:.:thumb:

zedob

I had a good experience with Bachmann. I lost a couple of worm shaft bushings when I took my 2-8-0 apart. I called them to see if I could get some more( there was a picture of the parts, but no number). I tried to explain what I needed to the lady, but she seemed lost. I eventually told her to give me the motor assembly for the $15 she quoted me. I was shooting from the hip hoping that the worm shaft and bushings came with it. When the part(s) came in and I opened the box I found to my amazement that the morotr assembly consisists of the motor, boiler weight, worm gear and shaft and the two bushings I was looking for. I figured I'd pay and would have paid $15 just for the bushings.

I'm not sure what I am going to do with the extra wieght, but it's nice to know that i have an extra motor and worm.

I would give them an 8 on a scale of 10 for customer satisfaction. I would have given them a 10, but the tech personnel need some more training about components before being commited to phone service.

Other than that I think Bachmann has done what they should have done years ago, build quality locomotives.

trainman4

repairs

Nine times outta ten they just ship you back another new engine & it might be the same road you sent.I've been in Bachmanns wharehouse and seen the piles of old engines and freight cars.if it weren't for their warranty i'd never buy another Bachmann.announce1

jr switch

Thanks guys , for your input. It seems Bachmann's warranty is a good one and they seem willing to make it right and then some.
Could it be, Trainman, that most of the returned engines you saw were not Spectrum's? When you saw their warehouse, was it before they started the Spectrum line? I'm asking because Iv'e heard a number of times that the quality of the earlier stuff was not that great. I'm still learning what's good and what is'nt , what's the best way to do things etc., mostly from the forum members. Iv'e only been in this for a few months, rather than years, so I have a lot to learn. John

Russ Bellinis

It may be that they tell you it will be 6 weeks to cover themselves for an unforseen problem. If they get it back to you in four weeks when you have been promised six, you are a happy customer. If you you are promised four weeks and it takes six, you spend two weeks wanting to know what is going on.

Seaboard

Bachman is pretty good about there warranty like others have said. I've sent some of my bachmans to them and they've sent them back in a reasonable amount of time. I don't know about others though. Athearn I know are not good with there questioning and response on there site, but they do send there engines back in a reasonable amount of time and fixed, so I was told.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
It may be that they tell you it will be 6 weeks to cover themselves for an unforseen problem.

That reminds me of a Star Trek episode - the one where Scotty meets the engineer on the "new" Enterprise:

Lieutenant: Yeah. Well, I told the captain I'd have this analysis done in an hour.
Scotty: How long would it really take?
Lieutenant: [looks annoyed] An hour!
Scotty: [looks unbelieving] Oh. You didn't tell him how long it would REALLY take, did you?
Lieutenant: Of course I did.
Scotty: Oh, laddie. You've got a lot to learn if you want people to think of you as a miracle worker.

;) :D

Andrew