The Alligator Submarine

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by cjwalas, Feb 12, 2007.

1. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Here's one I'd love to see and it doesn't seem all that complex? It's the US government's first submarine, the Alligator;
    The site has plenty of info.
    It's got enough Jules Verne going for it that it's a sure winner! Actually, the designer of the sub "may" have actually been one of Verne's teachers when he was young (so the rumor goes).
  2. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

I thought the "Turtle" invented by David Bushnell in 1775 was the first submarine in the US, no?

At any rate the Alligator would make a great model. Thanks for the link!

3. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

There were any number of submarines and attempted submarines in the US previous to the Alligator. The Alligator was the first submarine comissioned by the US Federal Government.
    Wish I was capable of card model design!
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

If you can find some deminsions........... it shouldn't be to hard to model.

BLENDER and Pepakura could handle it.

Let me know is yoou find some good 3 views or deminisons, I could give it a go.

5. WonderWheeler

WonderWheeler New Member

Is this the one that is visible at low tide in central america? Panama maybe. Thought I saw a picture in an archeology magazine or something.
  6. murphyaa

murphyaa Designer

7. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Chris, if you can build them, you are capable of designing them. AND you don't need expensive 3d modeling software to do it. You could design simple stuff with Microsoft Paint for instance. Or, invest approximately $40.00 at Amazon and get Paint Shop Pro 8, or a comparable inexpensive software that supports transparencies and layers and your designs will be limited only by your mind.

I use a pixel painting point to point method of design. Very simple, and flawless. 3d shapes are a challenge, but fun to figure out.

I will be happy to help you if you are interested...neighbor!