Thatched Roofs

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by billk, Feb 4, 2004.

1. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

No, but here is the link to the Weald and Downland, the museum I visited last summer. THey have a small but good selection of links from their site to other info that might help you.

2. George D

George D Member

Yes, my wife and I visited there a couple of years ago. My wife tolerates (that’s being generous) my stops at model railroads when we travel, but she was fascinated with the Pendon Museum. I’ve never seen such a high level of detail in model railroad scenery. You can distinguish the cabbage plants from the bean plants in the vegetable gardens! If you are ever in England, it's well worth the effort to make the visit.

3. rdavies

rdavies New Member

Take a look at this site.

The book helps:

Price: £7.95. Cottage Modelling for Pendon. (Pilton, Chris) Cottage Modelling for Pendon. (Pilton, Chris) Pub Wild Swan Publications pp96. 231ill. ... - More results from this site

Doesn't Pendon have some great scenes? And great locomotives without too much external plumbing
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Pendon is on my list to go to. It's always been a problem because it's not been on a bus line (appears to have one now.) It's off the line between Paddington and Oxford, just beside Didcot where the Great Western Society has its museum. That gives you a major trade off with your s/o in return for two rail museums.
  5. krokodil

krokodil Member

I use this simple way.

1 3

1. The basic material
    2. Wind and glue (white glue) and cut in half
    3. On the roof

Attached Files:

6. billk

billk Active Member

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I sent an Email to the Pendon Museum, and just got this reply:
    I'll keep you posted on any further replies.
  7. billk

billk Active Member

Just got this from Malcom Smith at the Pendon Museum - what a great bunch of people!

8. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Yes, they are ALL EVIL trains....

They all have the UP logo on them. :D
  9. billk

billk Active Member

No, the logo would be something like this (G&W in Dwarvish, stands for Gondor & Western).
  10. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

fuse wire

there is a reference in the instructions to "fuse wire". If you've lived in North America all your life, you've probably never seen it.
    In the UK, they don't use the glass fuses that we have. But each plug has a switch (!) and two terminals (protected, inside). A fine wire (looks like wire solder) is mounted between the terminals. This is the fuse wire and melts if there's an overload.
    Fuse wire comes in several sizes (measured in amps) and gets used for a number of things in model railways. I meant to buy some last time I was there, but couldn't get a suitable supply.
    Some of our UK members will probably correct me on the details.
    There is an episode of Mr. Bean where he buys a television. One of the jokes is based on the UK practice of not having the plug on the wire when it leaves the shop. I think this is because they have different socket/plug combinations for different current ratings.
  11. krokodil

krokodil Member

Hi David,

here in Europe it is not permitted to repair fuses (we have to replace them), for that reason since some decades back the fusewire dissapeared from our shops.

However is some better HiFi shops, or Caraudio shops you can get high quality loudspeaker cables which have extremely tinny wires in boundle inside and you can use them.

12. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

You can buy magnet wire, here in the US, as fine as you like it.