Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by lgl007, Apr 28, 2004.

1. lgl007

lgl007 Member

Thanks for your advise so far... but that said... I still can't find a conversion chart for mm thicknesses of paper/cardboard to lbs. There must be such a thing... doesn't there? I have scanned the internet as well and for the life of me can't find a conversion table...

2. barry

barry Active Member

Barry's rule of thumb if you have to roll a part to a small diameter use 80 gsm notepaper if you want 1 mm card use something like cornflake packets they are cheap and cheerful and work but rough up the glossy side with normal sandpaper so the glue sticks.

Else laminate two pieces of card together use a wall paper roller to flatten it and than pile some books on it and leave it to dry thoroughly.

see Takao cornflake decks.

3. lgl007

lgl007 Member

Actually Barry the instructions tell me to glue the regular paper to 0,5 or 1,0 or 1,5 mm thick paper/carboard... mainly for the internal supporting skeletal structure... it's not for rolling but rather to have thick pieces of board that form the skeleton... I have found one source that tells me that:

105 Bond = 267 Offset = 146 Cover = 0.445 mm's = 385.06 gsm

So this helps a bit... but as I understand paper model building ... it all has to be perfectly accurate to work just right... so I want to be sure that I am using paper of the right thickness especially on the skeleton so that the cover printed paper will form perfectly around the skeleton...

4. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

5. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

I am confident that it is entirely my thick-headedness... but where does it talk about thickness on that page? I've seen others refer to similar charts and could never figure it out.

Please know that I am an admitted ignoramus. Could you explain?

6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

On most paper specifications, the nominal thickness is usually refered to as the 'caliper' of the paper, from the name of the device used to do the measuring. It can be in microns (1 micron = 1/1000 of a mm, so 750 microns is 0.75 (3/4) of a mm. Or it can be in some archaic imperial unit, no doubt still in use by our colonial brethren. The thickness varies quite a bit, and the caliper is often quoted as plus/minus 20%. Card and board is a bit more consistant, but the way paper is made, and its susceptibility to humidity, and that most users of paper couldn't care two hoots about its actual thickness, it the 'FEEL' and the way it takes ink that matters, means that you frequently don't see thickness mentioned. However the 'weight', usually per square metre in grams, or pounds or groats per ream, or bushel, or furlong or somesuch medieval thingies, is prominent.

Paper making is one of those industries that started in the dim mists of time, so they have some old methods which make perfect sense to them, but are a bit of a mystery to the rest of us. A bit like carpenters, accountants, muffle twangers, mangle wurzzle prodders and so on.

Hope this helps

7. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

Those humourously backwards ignoramusus!! :lol:

Thanks for the laugh :wink:
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

One of the best tools that you can invest in is a digital caliper. This tool allows measurement of all sorts..., you will be suprised how useful it is. Convincing the wife is easy..., I had to pickup one up after my wife realized how useful it is to measure diamonds, rubies, pearls and the like (could be hard on the model budget come to think of it).

Harbor Freight periodically offers the 6 inch (150 mm) version for $19.95 U.S. on sale (visit their site (google Harbor Freight)). The tool measures down to an accuracy of +/- .0005 " (five ten-thousandths) and is switchable from English to Metric at the push of a button (really useful) and sports auto off and an extra battery besides the one installed that it comes with.

It is invaluable in card modeling in aspects still to be discovered but most importantly will give you an immediate thickness reading for scrap card which you can mark and reserve accordingly. You'll never have an excurse for not having the right card stock ever again after several weeks of collecting.

Best, Gil
  9. Bikerpete

Bikerpete Member

The salesman at the local art supply shop was pretty puzzled when I walked in with my caliper and started measuring all of the matt boards for thickness. :D

After I explained what I was looking for and why he seemed fairly interested in card-modeling. I'm still waiting for the ships curves I ordered though...hope they get here soon as I want to try them on a couple of ship parts.

10. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

Gil, thanks for the advice - I will see about picking one up. At that price, it actually fits in my allowance so I may not even have to ask permission!

Pathetic, I know.