Thanks for the help - more needed

Hmmm...interesting changes. Only giving it a cursory glance at this point since I'm at work eating lunch right now (mmmm....chicken Katsu...) but I can say already that I'm not sure what function the loop beneath the 6" section serves. It's only accesible, if I'm reading the plan correctly, by the double crossover near the turntable. Plus, the turntable and engine facilities are now removed from the yard area...So I'm not sure this plan is a step in the right direction. But I will say all plans, for better or worse, are steps forward in that they can all be learning experiences taking you closer to that 'perfect' plan. Keep thinking and hang in there!

Let me modify what you've got a little and get it back to you...I've got an idea. I'm also working on something for insinu8 so it may be a couple days, but we'll see. In-laws coming into town this weekend so I want to get it done before they arrive.

Galen

BigJim

Galen,

You have a great talent. It seems like moving tracks, turnouts and geetting thinks to fit causes me to lose focus on the operation. You take a quick look and see the obvious faults.

Here is the latest. Went back to single main line on the outside. Two paths down the ridge and a small (18" radius) 4% grade climb up to the ridge. Might have a hill in the center.

"yard" on the upper left has moved into the hidden room for a fiddle track. Might change the ladder and other yard details but it is now near the turntable.

Comments please?
try3.gif

Hmmmm...okay, first thought is to flip the yard next to the enginehouse so that the turnouts are all on the other side where access will be easier over level tracks (vs. where they are which would mean reaching over the outside line grade).

Other than that...I'm getting our house ready for guests and I just stopped for a quick peek at the email so I'll have to get back to you with more. I will say that I really like the elevation difference as a common thread between all the plans you've drawn. Trains crossing trains at various elevations is one of the most interesting scenarios in the real world that we get to really enjoy in this model world we create. Keep on keepin on...I'll get back to you soon.

Galen

BigJim

OK, so I am being a little OC with the layout software and running trains to see how it operates and filling open space with track:) . With that in mind the layout has changed a little.

Since this is my first layout comments are welcome and, obviously, I am not hesitant to change my layout to include suggestions.
cloop2.gif

I know there are some who don't like "running" and like yard operations but I plan on having "auto-aligning" turnouts as the train comes out of the two reversion loops. Since I need to sense the train & reverse the DCC signal/power phase anyway I will just use the same signal to move the turnout. With the other turnouts set properly two trains will run at the same time or with the double crossover crossed one train will run the inner & outer loop.

Now - please look for problems and let me know before I start cutting wood.

BigJim

Big Change

OK - I need to stop working with XTrkCAD and get back to my life but I needto get this right.

After seeing Galen's suggestions for Chris I decided to try "folding" my loop. The room is big but this would save space for other activities.

The little curved stub tracks are only there to show access to the areas. I need to get ideas for track work and industry for each area. The only thing set is a passenger station across the top where it is about 6" higher. With 30" radius and 2% grade I can get about 3.5" over (0">3.5") the lower track in the center and about the same (2">5.5") in the back-right corner.

iS THIS AN IMPROVEMENT?

layout2.gif