TH&B freight cars

RobertInOntario

60103 said:
Robert: Did we answer your first question yet? TH&B freight cars would travel in anybody's freight trains. Since the line was located in the Hamilton area, they had to use other lines to get to most destinations.
Repainting freight cars isn't a prority job with most railways (You can tell by looking at the grafitti) and railways tend to do the minimum -- reporting marks, numbers, legally required lettering.Since CPR and TH&B were friendly roads, CP probably ran the cars in the old lettering until they fell apart.
One other point: because of the fee sharing CP probably tried to run cars originating on their line as far as possible on CP or CP owned lines.

Thanks, David. I suspected as much -- it seems most other railways (when railways changed hands) did not change liveries or colours until much later, if at all. I realize we got off topic a little, but it was still on a related topic! Cheers, Rob

RobertInOntario

60103 said:
Robert: ... The Christmas train uses a modern diesel, but I think they use a few of the cars from the Hudson. Interurban managed to wangle a trip behind 2816.
There are usually 2 Christmas trains -- one goes through the US and one through Canada.

Thanks again, David. So do you know if there is anything unique about the Christmas train? It sounds as if it's nicely decorated with Christmas lights & is hauling some vintage coaches, etc., and could still be fun to watch or ride. Rob

RobertInOntario

kirkendale said:
Hi guys, sorry about not getting back to you sooner. The picture of 2816 is from 2004 just after it exits from the eastern ( downtown ) end of the Hunter St tunnel in Hamilton. When I was young saw I many a TH&B freight going to and from the tunnel. This is my first steam locomotive at the tunnel,,,:thumb: WOW well worth the trip.
I missed the Christmas train last year ( well ok, every year ) but if it runs with the lights on then it will be worth the visit. I think I will start to plan my route to chase the Christmas train this year....

Yes, that was a good shot -- hopefully I'll see 2816 next time it comes through. I'll try to chase down the Christmas Train as well, along with our two sons. Cheers, Rob

RobertInOntario

I have another question (which again reveals my sketchy Canadian railway knowledge). I've heard about the "Royal Hudson" ... 2816 is a Hudson but would it also be the Royal Hudson? Thanks! Rob

RobertInOntario

OK, after doing some web research, I now realize that the Royal Hudson was 2860 (and that there were several other Royal Hudsons as well). It sounds as if 2860 has just been steamed up again for the first time in a few years. This website (www.rrsites.com/royalhudson/) has some good info. Rob

RobertInOntario

MasonJar said:
Sorry to disappoint, but the Christmas train is not the steam train (or at least not in the past).
The schedules always change at the last minute. However, if you are planning on going to one of the events, I would get there well ahead of time - it's very popular. You can call the 1-800 info line to get an update on the day of the event you have chosen. Last year, they were late coming out of Montreal for Smiths Falls, and the show was delayed by several hours.
It is lots of fun to watch the train go by at a crossing, or somewhere you can get a good look at it. I waited with my 4 year old last year. She was in her PJ's and we listened to Christmas music while waiting at a level crossing in the middle of nowhere. The train runs with Christmas lights lit all the time, so it was a great scene at 10:30pm witha bit of snow coming down...
Andrew

Thanks, Andrew. As mentioned, I'm going to try to chase it down this December with my two boys (maybe my wife will even come if she's not too "trained-out"!). I've already viewed some pics of it at the CP website and it looks like fun. Cheers, Rob

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
The Christmas train does not offer rides, but at each major stop there is usually a show (sometimes featuring some fairly recognizable talent), and they take a collection for food banks.

If I am not mistaken, both CN and CP had "Royal" trains - that is they were involved in the 1939 royal visit.

There is a great 2 hour video about the rebuilding (1 hour) and initial test and run (1 hour) of 2816. Well worth a look. Although I was a bit traumatized by some of the information given in the opening - did you realize that both CN and CP rostered over 3000 (THREE THOUSAND!!) steam locomotives EACH...! Now all but a handful are gone :( :cry:

Andrew

Andrew

RobertInOntario

Thanks, Andrew. Interesting history about the Royal trains. The video sounds good too. It's a shame that only a few steam locos have remained. The heritage railway movement in the UK is so much further ahead of us -- they probably have hundreds of restored steamers there. If you ever get a chance to go to the UK, it's probably one of the best places to visit for seeing steam trains! ... Looking forward to the Christmas train as well. Cheers, Rob

kirkendale

getting off topic again,,, The "Royal" designation on the Hudsons was only awarded to the CPR. Both CP and CN participated in the 1939 Royal Tour of King George 6th and Queen Elizabeth ( the late Queen Mum ). CP westward from Quebec to BC and CN the return eastward trip. I am not sure how many engines CN used ( I think they may have been Northerns 4-8-4 ) but CP used just the one - #2850 This ONE locomotive made the full trip without breakdowns or faults. The King was very impressed and agreed to grant the 'Royal' to this engine. Later, because #2851 was also used on the trip to carry VIP's ahead of the Royal train and it too worked with out fault the designation was give to the full class of these engines.

Pooh Bah
Robert: the Royal designation went to the class H1c hudsons. (If there were H1d and e, they got it too; not sure exactly). 2816 is an H1b. Difference is visible along the running board -- 2816 has a narrow valence that widens at the number; Royal hudsons have a full width valence all the way along.

RobertInOntario

60103 said:
Robert: the Royal designation went to the class H1c hudsons. (If there were H1d and e, they got it too; not sure exactly). 2816 is an H1b. Difference is visible along the running board -- 2816 has a narrow valence that widens at the number; Royal hudsons have a full width valence all the way along.

Thanks for clarifying this, David. One of these days I'll buy a CP pictorial book which should be a good reference. FYI, I think the Royal Hudson 2860 has just recently been restored & steamed up again, if I read the details correctly on the ir website. Cheers, Rob

RobertInOntario

kirkendale said:
getting off topic again,,, The "Royal" designation on the Hudsons was only awarded to the CPR. Both CP and CN participated in the 1939 Royal Tour of King George 6th and Queen Elizabeth ( the late Queen Mum ). CP westward from Quebec to BC and CN the return eastward trip. I am not sure how many engines CN used ( I think they may have been Northerns 4-8-4 ) but CP used just the one - #2850 This ONE locomotive made the full trip without breakdowns or faults. The King was very impressed and agreed to grant the 'Royal' to this engine. Later, because #2851 was also used on the trip to carry VIP's ahead of the Royal train and it too worked with out fault the designation was give to the full class of these engines.

Yes, this off-topic but still related! Thanks for this info. When I checked a couple CP and "Hudson" websites last night, I read about 2860 being the Royal Hudson that's now based in BC. I suspect that this is one of the other Hudsons that also received the "Royal" designation. Rob