TGR Box car in Maine

absnut

Third try is a charm, so they say!

Here's a TGR boxcar spotted in northern New England. The tilted hotel in background is mute evidence of one of our very rare earthquakes.

The TGR decal was (frustratingly :mad: ) made with decal film and an InkJet printer, a process not for the feint of heart or easily discouraged. :confused:

Dick

Attachments

• tgr02.jpg
    tgr02.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 65

rockislandmike

absnut, if you post the following info I'll include your boxcar on the official register of Gauge equipment:

Roadname: TGR
Road Number: ???
AAR: XM
Description: Single Door Boxcar
Length: ???
Scale: It looks like HO to me ???

BTW, whenever I print inkjet decals I usually do one extra of the major decals, just in case they get screwed up. For some reason, it is getting better and better though. I *rarely* need to use that extra decal now.

absnut

Mike,

It's a 40' boxcar (MT), road # 107051 and is N scale.

I actually made 8 copies of the TGR logo and selected the best two. I had trouble keeping the ink from "bleeding" when I put clear decal film over it. Do you have any "secrets" you'd like to share about using the InkJet printer for decals?

Dick

rockislandmike

I actually made 8 copies of the TGR logo and selected the best two. I had trouble keeping the ink from "bleeding" when I put clear decal film over it. Do you have any "secrets" you'd like to share about using the InkJet printer for decals?

Hhhmmm....sounds a little different than the system I use. I got clear decal paper from Bel Decal specifically for inkjet printers. I print on the paper (best quality of course), then lit it sit for usually a day or so to make sure it's good and dry.

Then I'll do a light coat of Krylon (????) spray (it was included in the kit they sent me, but similar sprays are available everywhere). Let it dry then another light coat. Then I do another four or so coats fairly heavily.

I usually put them on over a dry car with a glossy finish (i.e., no MicroSet). Once in place I let the decal dry overnight, and then I do numerous coats of MicroSol to make sure it's set nice. One final spray of dullcote and it's good to go.

A very lengthy process to be sure, but well worth it in my opinion. It did take me some tries to refine this process, and as I said, I usually print an extra copy of a graphic for some of the more colorful and/or larger decals.

I'm doing some hoppers right now, I'll make sure to post the pics when I get a chance.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
I use the Vita Cal system thats available from Walthers. You get the starter kit it comes with the spray and five sheets of paper.
All the graphics on my "Company Boxcar", including the dim data was done on my ink-jet using Vita Cal. I'm quite satisfied with it. The only thing I think I'll do different is set the dpi on my printer to 1200 instead of the default 600dpi.