TFM help?

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
You are referring to the scheme below (attached photo), right?

If that's the scheme, I think you can use the heralds in Microscale set #87-1099 for the heralds on the sides of the cab.. Floquil/PollyScale's GN Big Sky Blue looks like a good match for the deeper shade, and I would mix the lighter shade by adding some Reefer White to the GN Big Sky blue (I can't think of a ready-made shade for that pastel blue).

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• pictures_741_xtfm1430.JPG
    pictures_741_xtfm1430.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 62

jbaakko

Jun 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
rr.blockchoice.com
Thats the scheme! The flag looks to be blag & red, but maybe its just the lighting on their scan. I'll pick up a copy. What about the yellow dot, and the numbers! Heh, this outta be fun. I guess GN blue will work, I'll pick that up also. The red pin stripes are no issue, there's plenty of decals for that.

Thanks!

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Yep! Those Gothic numbers looks pretty darn close. :thumb:

As far as the herald goes, yes I think the photo scan was just too dark. The decal itself should be a nice green (I have never seen a TFM loco with a black/red flag after all..) :D

The yellow dot should be easy to do.. All you need to do is cut a big white circle out of a white decal, then cut a smaller yellow circle out of a yellow decal. Apply the white decal, then apply the yellow decal centered inside the white. Voila!

Please post photos when you are done! :cool:

jbaakko

Jun 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
rr.blockchoice.com
Will do. It'll be a little while, it only consists of an Athearn SD40-2 shell & a Kato non-DB hatch so far. No nose, cab or cab-subbase (thos will come from Cannon). At the same time I'm doing two lease units... Talk about needing alot of Cannon parts!

Thanks for the help, everywhere else I ask, no one has any ideas.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind if you have difficulty getting an exact match on colors, is the paint will tend to fade over time in the sunlight. In fact the red on the walkway of the locomotive posted seems to have faded to a brownish already. So, if you can't match the paint perfectly, a little lighter shade will simulate weathering & fading. A little darker shade might represent a fresh paint job, but it might be too dark to someone who is familier with that line.