Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Soaring, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

Uhm...Well, I wanted to ask, is it possible to texture a pepakura file? If so, can anyone post the steps in doing so? Thanks! :oops:

Is it possible to insert a textured piece onto a pepkura file, I should say to add onto that...
  2. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I'd say... no... Pepakura's pdo format isn't a standard 3d file that you can edit freely (there's some room for basic model edit, but texture and UV? No.). It's only possible to edit the texture with whatever original format you had before plugging it into pepakura.
  3. Kezn

Kezn pwned in the dawn

do it with the development of pepakura file with photoshop/ corel... but only for simple cases.
  4. Soaring

Thank you Kezn and Lex! I'll try it Kezn!
  5. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

If you have the unlocked pepakura file, and the textures are separated from the pdo file, you can change the textures separately by using an image manipulation program.

Another way is by using a different texture file by pointing to it in the Texture Configuration options in the 3DModelWindow Menu. However, you have to make sure that the dimensions of the new texture files are exactly the same as those of the original texture files in order to be able to keep the UV mapping aligned.

If you have a locked pepakura file, you can only indirectly change it by outputting the development pattern into a BMP first (it can be one image or several, depending on the page option you choose), and then changing the textures there, before inserting them into a paper sheet for print out.
  6. Soaring

Ok, I'll reword my question. I want to texture the pepakura file of Hazel Gundam. Is it possible to use the JPEG files, and somehow import the decals onto the pieces?
  7. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

You can do what you are asking about, provided the pepakura file is not locked. However, how difficult it will be is another matter.
    Can you post a link to the pepakura file/package you are working with?

Pepakura imports a 3D model from other programs, also importing the texture files (bitmaps, jpegs, etc) and encoding them directly into the PDO file. If you can get copies of the original image files used, you can rework them, then assign the new textures in Pepakura. Without copies of the originals you are pretty much lost. You'd have to satisfy yourself with recoloring the 2D pattern produced by pep.

8. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

If it's Gundam then I wouldn't mind suggesting texturing the 2D pattern, as Kezn said. :)
  9. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

That seems to be the easiest/quickest for me too...
  10. Soaring

Gasp! ThunderChild! I haven't seen your repliese in a while :O

Anyways, I'll try it tonight. Hopefully it works....Then again, I'm a n00b. :D
  11. Soaring

Thanks guys! I've retextured the foot in my own ways :eek: Thanks Kezn, Squirrel, and Jaybats :D
  12. Soaring

Scratch that, this has just become harder...
  13. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Hi Soaring!
    Yea, I'm being kept busy by other people like my GF and my boss! :eek: