Texture in a semispherical model

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Raider, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Raider

Raider New Member

Im trying to make a papermodel of Super Mario Bros mushrom, like this

I try in Metasequioia and 3DS, but seting map/texture for head I have problems cause the big white dots were distorted, and I dont know the way to put big white dots in a semispherical model, planar and cilindrical do not match, and spherical, makes a big distort in two points of sphere. In map properties ball in corner looks perfect, but in the model........

Someone knows how I can put a texture to not being ditorted in this way, spericals makes a good job, except for this two points?. Its any way to make four or six maps for same model to make a map for every single dot?

Thanks in advance.

2. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

Can't help with the texturing problems when it comes to spheres. But, have you thought of making the model out of cubes? It is after all based on a game that was what, 8 bits? Maybe take each cube as a "pixle" and then just make it 3D instead of flat. Think of it like working with legos (this is easy for me since I have a rather extensive collection of lego, over 5million pieces and growing). I know this doesn't answer your question but maybe it will give you a different way to look at the model.
  3. Gearz

Gearz Member

Hey Raider, interesting exercise... This might not be exactly what you want to achieve, but it should get you closer.

Think quadrants! I made two individual vertical textures, approximating the spots on a mushroom. In META ~ create new [mat] for each texture and apply them to each Quadrant.

mushroom1.jpg Is the end result.
    mushroom2.jpg Select each quadrant in turn and apply texture.
    + textures.

The textures ~ In this case the spots are smaller than the quadrants. If you want to have a BIG spot 'overlapping' quads, make two matching textures ( with 'half' spots) ~ You can use just the one texture, but distortion will be a problem again.

Hope this helps

Attached Files:

4. Raider

Raider New Member

I Got it Igot it ^^

Gearz your a little genious, you gives me the clue.

I make a red img with a big white point in the middle, then i make two identical materials in metasequoia, and rotate one 90º, i do that you say in 174 of spehere and magic has come ^^, a third identical mat for upper big red point makes it perfect.

Look the preview in pepakura designer.

Before publish the PDf pattern I want build one to besure it looks good. I promise the first place I publish it will be here ^^.

Thanks A LOT.

Attached Files: