Testors Custom Decal System

Discussion in 'Product Review Forum' started by hooknlad, Mar 21, 2007.

1. hooknlad

hooknlad Member

Hello again, I hope this is the right place to post this.

Has anyone ever purchased the Testor's Custom Decal System? I purchased this kit from Wallyworld for about $7.00. In essence what it is, is a CD Rom with Flames, a license plate maker, and some other stuff.. I inserted the CD into the computer, loaded the software, and found out that this is a very basic kit. It contains : Decal maker software, Special water soluble decaling film, and custom graphics...
    From what I has seen of the Basic kit, I am not impressed at all. The license plates are only from 4 states.. (I remember a site that allows you to make the license plates from all 50 states from many time periods as well... for free... http://www.acme.com/licensemaker/ )
    Anyway, I now learn from this software that a "complete" custom decal CD is available for another $10.. Allegedly you can transform any picture that you have into a usable decal for your layout... This is the function that I had wanted in the original kit - lol... The box is very vague in its appearance and content with what the software offers.

Has anyone purchased this or the complete kit? What is your opinion of this product? Are there any secrets to using this product?

At $7.00 not a heck of a lot lost, perhaps when I get into this product full throttle, it may make sense.. I will keep you all posted..

Also at Wally world, I found that Testors has an air can kit for propellant. Turning those cute little Testor paint bottles into spray paint ? This kit was about $15.00 . Anyone have any experience with this ?
  2. Nick8564

Nick8564 Member

I bought the same kit thinking I could make custom decals as said on the box. I was too mad when I found out that to make decals for my trains I would have to buy another program. Nowhere on the box does it say it will only make certain decals.
  3. sandjam

sandjam New Member

Buy the Testors kit from Wally World.
    It's $7 well spent when first learning to make decals.
    Decal paper is expensive.
    Do not load the disc but rather,throw the disc in the trash.
    There is information here, on this site, to assist you in making decals.

Do a search.

I neededed custom decals, unavailable from any comercial source, for a project I was bashing.

This guy's post helped me more than anything else I found.

He posted it to another site, hopefully the owner/moderators of this site will not object to the sharing of this information.

I thought I needed a bunch of complicated, expensive software, he made it very simple with what I already had, other than a one free program.

4. hooknlad

hooknlad Member

great link sam - thanx.... The 2 guyz have a great forum and site as well..
  5. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

I bought only the Testors paper. You can do your own graphics on any paint program, or even in microsoft word. Use the decal bonder spray, then use micro-sol once the decal is dried on the surface. I am very pleased with the results I got.
  6. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

I made white lettered decals with the testor's paper. It works fine but is a little thick so hiding the edges can sometimes be a weatherng challenge. Microsol worked pretty well for me too.
  7. Thoroughbreed

Thoroughbreed Member

Actually, using the Testors software, just delete the license plates and insert your own graphics there.:thumb:
  8. iis612

iis612 Member

This is used in conjunction with another testors airbrush kit. I have it, and it works ok. I wouldn't recomend it, nor would I say don't buy it. It takes alot of practice to use it with quality results. Basically you get what you pay for.