testing

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Are you setting your camera to a lower file size setting to keep from having to resize? I should do that, but I usually keep my camera set at large fine. I don't ever think about it until I'm in the middle of manually resizing for uploading.

Looks good to me. In fact, it looks like you took that picture a few miles from my house. Love your model work.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks and apologies to all. I am a computer dummy and find them to be very illogical. I have supposedly downloaded these programs and they appear on my screen but I cannot open them. When I click on them, I'm asked if I wish to re-install them??? ezdays sent me one which I am able to open: however, it is completely unintelligible to me. I'm sure that my daughter could explain this all to me but she's just gotten her first contract job, so she's very busy. Our usual procedure is for her to run through everything step-by-step, while I write down the steps so that I can refer to the notes when I get stuck. And I do. I am not kidding when I say I find these things illogical: the symbols mean nothing (although I have learned that the email one is the one that I thought was a sandwich). The terminology sounds to me like secret code words and I seldom understand the shortforms.And to compound matters even more, my short term memory (at least for computer stuff) is nil. A couple of times I've managed to perform, by accident, some function that has usually baffled me. Absolutely can not recall how I did it, even two seconds later. Anyway, I do appreciate the attempts to help, and I will eventually sort this out. I'm getting quite a stockpile of photos and I do want to share them when I'm able to make them a more manageable size.
Thanks,
Wayne

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Wayne,

I thought you had posted some pics already. I guess those are the ones that are already sized properly. Contact me by PM or email and I will walk you step-by-step through the program. The basic resizing is only a four-step process, and if I send it to you, you won't even have to write it down, just print it out. Just let me know if you did download the PhotoPlus program, and what version it is. As I remember, it should be PhotoPlus 6. I'll have to reload it on my machine, but that's not a problem.

Marxed

Jan 29, 2005
doctorwayne said:
Thanks and apologies to all. I am a computer dummy and find them to be very illogical. I have supposedly downloaded these programs and they appear on my screen but I cannot open them. When I click on them, I'm asked if I wish to re-install them???

you have to follow and hit all the "next" and install" buttons, it's basically just as simple as looking for the little boxes to click on the bottom of the window that appears, if it downloaded allready, find where its at and click it... powertoys software ussually installs quickly and easily, i reallly really reccomend this to you, it's free and is the absolute most simple resizer... once installed you find the picture you want to resize and right mouse click it, and hit resize image, then it will ask you if you want small medium or large; after that you hit the "O.K." button and all of a sudden an image will appear in that same location as the orgininal, named "IMAGENAME (SMALL).JPG or it might even appear as IMAGENAME (MEDIUM).JPG allthough this doesn't let you edit the photos, but if know how to aim a camera, you dont need to crop or edit it!!!

i'm a professional in multi-media and used every imaging, sound, animation, webdesign, and production software there is out there... i've even made my own message boards! ... i have the top of line imaging software on my computers and i promise that this is the quickest and simplest way for someone with minimal skill to resize an image to post.... it only takes seconds to do!!

if you want to edit photos, thats not the most simple thing for someone with no experience to learn, your best bet it to go to the store and pick up a copy of photoshop and a tutorial book for the version you pick.... theres a handful of books and tutorials out there in which would be really.... i don't really recommend any editing programs you get online, they work, but from my exeprience i wouldn't reccomend them to you

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Wayne,

If you have figured out the sandwich/email function (now that would be :cool: ), you should not have any problems with the software to resize your pics. Especially if they are already jpg format.

Don put the tutorial together on how to get your photos on The Gauge, and you have mastered the external image () link. Resizing and uploading directly is not much different.

Andrew

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Here I go again with another attempt

100_5530.jpg

100_5531.jpg

100_5532.jpg

Well, at least they're smaller.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Wayne,

These are undeed smaller. Each one is about 192 x 145 pixels and 24K filesize. You can upload bigger, like up to 640 x 480 and 65K. Since you linked them from Photobucket, there is no restriction, but common sense says that anything larger will be too big for some screens or viewing them might take too long for some with a slower speed connection. What program are you using to resize your pics? Maybe I can help you.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Don,
The three small photos were resized in IrfanView to 640X483 pixels, but for some reason, the file size is well over 900k for each picture. I changed the settings in Photobucket and entered the reduced pixel size. This resulted in the tiny pictures you see here. I again reset Photobucket and took a picture directly off the cd. The result is the medium sized view shown above. The last view is at the settings that I've been using for all my posts. I think the easiest course would be to delete all of my pictures from Photobucket and re-enter them at the medium size. I realize that the deletion will remove everything that I've posted, but I'm not sure if they'll reappear when I re-enter the pictures at the decreased size. I'm going to try this with the last picture posted here.

100_5534.jpg

Oh,my! What a surprise!! I've removed the oversize image of the wreck crane from all Photobucket albums, but the big image remains in my previous entry. Not only that, but the image above is from one entered into photobucket at the reduced size. As I've said previously, the logic of how this stuff works eludes me.
I've just checked the photobucket album that contains these pictures. The medium size photo of the locomotive is 490x370 - 55k. The large photo of the wreck crane is 490x370 - 54k. What gives? If I didn't enjoy sharing my pictures with others here at The Gauge, I don't think I'd bother with all this hassle.

Wayne

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks Andrew,
As you can see by my running commentary, all of the resizing efforts didn't show up as I was using the "edit" function, although I don't know why some of them did. And to completely make my day, my son just strolled into the room and informed me that I'm becoming a computer nerd. That's in addition to being a train nut. What a life! The golden years have come at last. The golden years can kiss my a$$.

Wayne (doctorwayne....the doctor is always in(sane)