Testing train in DC

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
In the book it says to test the train in DC to see if it runs properly.
A train that runs well in DC should run excellent in DCC
(Its a DCC equipped atlas loco)

Should I just get 2 wires and hold it to my track from my old DC pack and see how my new train runs?

I wont want to solder anyway just for analog testing.

I dont know anything about electricity but THere isnt enough electricity to get electricuted right? lol...

Is there any problems with just holding the wires to the track?

Maineiac

New Model Railroader
Feb 27, 2007
Maine
You don't need to worry about getting shocked at that low voltage. You should be fine taking the wires from your old DC power pack directly to the loco's wheels or to the track that the loco is on. However, if you connect the DC pack temporarily to your layout you should probably disconnect your DCC system first.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
If you don't have a DCC system yet, go ahead and solder the leads you're going to need for DCC anyway, and hook up your DC power pack to that...

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
....I hooked up everthing for my DCC system. I just didnt receive the zephyr yet...
Please guys stick to what im saying...
" I wont want to solder anyway just for analog testing."
The question is can I hold the wires...its been answered....thats it!

Sometimes I dont privide information cuz its not apart of what im asking...

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Prodigy: Start just by holding the wires to the track. When you get interested, get a pair of wires with alligator clips so that you can let go and watch the train run.
You should be able to hook your DC power pack up to the DCC bus. It will give you a good idea if the DCC wiring is right.