Test Unitrack Yard

Agatheron

Nov 8, 2003
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Well, my benchwork is up, as I mentioned in another thread, and I'm finally starting to glue down pink foam as my overall base. However, I couldn't resist before getting it all down and starting slapping some track together to see how it might look.

I have a very rough trackplan idea, but the fortunate thing is that Kato's Unitrack allows for some flexibility without having a concrete plan drawn up. So I decided to experiment. Here's my first pic of my first (and so far only) attempt:

yard1.jpg

This particular version uses 2 #6 turnouts, 7 #4's (4 Left, 3 right), and a double crossover. My first observation is that the arrival/departure track is too short. Given that the layout ends just below the picture, I don't have a lot of leeway there... but I could extend the A/D track around the curve... although in this present arrangement I'd have 3 parallel tracks. Given that I was planning on a single mainline and not double track, it may be overkill.

I could also flip the yard so that the classification tracks are on the outside, rather than the inside... Anyway, I wouldn't mind suggestions...

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
but I could extend the A/D track around the curve... although in this present arrangement I'd have 3 parallel tracks. Given that I was planning on a single mainline and not double track, it may be overkill.
Don't be afraid of extending a yard into a curve. Often, it's very useful in planning. Is your concern that the layout will look too track-heavy if the yard gets any bigger?

Agatheron

Nov 8, 2003
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Actually, my concern is more that the mainline will look too track heavy, given that I think my original hope was to make this primarily a single-track-with-sidings style of layout. The curves of the track just in front of the camera will feed into both the staging yard, as well as be the point at which the branchline splits off from the main track.

However, everything is, of course, flexible.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
That is what you said the first time - but now it makes me remember. I sometimes had trouble fitting yards into track plans because the yard leads ran alongside the mainline and prevented the impression of single track.

If I could see the overall dimensions of the layout, I might be able to suggest something.

3railguy

Sep 7, 2004
Kaukauna, WI
Awesome looking yard. I love Unitrack. The switches work flawlessly. Including the double crossover. Where would N scale be today if it weren't for Kato?