Test track????

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by jflessne, Jul 17, 2006.

1. jflessne

jflessne Member

Do any of you have a seperate test/programing track?

What length do you recommend? Two tracks? Any Curves?

I'd like to use this to test decoder installs etc. Consisting and speed adjustments also.
  2. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

when i used DCC i had a 6 ft program track.
  3. jflessne

jflessne Member

Do you have any turnouts etc?
  4. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

My programing track is about 20" long and forms part of my yard. I have it wired with a DPDT switch, so I can incorporate it into the "main line" to check for adjustments I do. If they're not right, I roll the engine back to the programming track & set it to "Program" and do whatever is needed.

Gus (LC&P).
  5. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

no turnouts
  6. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

jflessne, on the layout i have now my program/test track is 8'. on previous layouts it was only 1.5'. i don't know what system you are using, but i use Prodigy Advance, so i really only use the program/test track to read the decoder. all programing and CV adjustments i make while the engine/s are on the fly on the mainline:thumb::D. -Deano
  7. brakie

brakie Active Member

I prefer a 6 foot long test track.
    The reasons are:
    1.Creep ability of my locomotives..If my locomotives won't creep 6 foot then I tweak the drive till it does.
    2.Freight car rollability..I elevate my test track just enough that the car will start rolling and roll the 6 foot.If the car doesn't roll the 6 foot then its worked on till it does.
    When I was using DCC I had a 1 foot test/programing track that I used.