Terrestrial Voyager

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by gippolot, Jan 28, 2007.

1. gippolot

gippolot Member

As always, thanks for any comments. I'm always feel a bit chuffed by anyone who responds from a non-predominateltly English speaking country. Unfortunately, as an Australian, to date, there is no real need to learn another language. So we generally don't.

Anyway, pictures tell the story.

I've pretty much finished my marathon design & build of the Terrestrial Voyager. I doubt I'll do much else to it as it has taken way more time than I originally assumed.

Here is a final picture from above.

The front on view.

Here are two views from astern.

A view from side on.

And finally, a photo using a cut-out I printed from the original illustration from Rodney Mathews. Just imagine a turbulent red/yellow sky in the background.

2. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Superb job on a difficult subject Andrew. You've certainly done the artwork justice.

Happy New Year
  3. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

Stunning Beautiful work ,it has been a joy and an inspiration to follow this thread and see the development of this great work of art. Now to watch you build Heavy Metal Hero LOL.
    Happy New Year and thank you
  4. Words fail me. I salute you.
  5. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

That is absolutely amazing. Fantastic subject...fantastic interpretation...fantastic workmanship. NICE!
  6. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

I really enjoyed your design/build thread Andrew. I can only echo what the others have said -absolutely marvelous! Thanks so much for sharing with us! Congratulations!!

7. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

I am impressed!! This build thread has been a joy to follow, and the only reason I didn't post anything before was simply because words fail! I love your technique for the rigging. I may try it on a Space: 1889 Martian ship if a large 15mm one ever get's released by Squirmydad(on the Papermakeit forum).
  8. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Congratulations on finishing it up... I still can't believe you did ALL this from one 2D photo... excellent work indeed!
  9. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Congratulations - this is truly a piece of art in itself. You should be very proud of your accomplishment!
  10. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

Is amazing job, great subject, great design, project and execution building! Is a state-of -art papercraft...

Very and very thank's for share!!!!
  11. armorbimbo

armorbimbo Member

"Does it come in black?"

Whoops wrong thread..heh. Great work, a true work of love and art.
  12. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

13. gippolot

gippolot Member

Thanks very much for the praise of my model. I must admit that this project has turned out much, much better than I really thought it would.

All I can say is that when I see the different models and techniques that others on this, and other forums have used, it all added to the ideas in my head, that I could later use. Everything is pretty much a concept that someone else has shown.

Gixergs made a reference to Heavy Metal Hero, which someone else refered to, and was probably one of RM, (Rodney Matthews), most popular illustrations. Here it is, (I guess modeled on one of those massive Union Pacific engines, or similar), but ... I'm not quite sure how to describe how I feel about it, brilliant.. yet unnerving. Similar to looking at a Hieronymus Bosch painting.

Earlier on I found a RM inspired font, and have used this on a stand for my model. Don't know if I'll use the stand, but I just liked the font.

Thanks again,

14. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Another beautiful shot of your beauty ship gippolot, thanks again for share your building progress with all of us.

Happy new year!!
  15. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Hooray it's finished!!! Absolutely stunning work of art!!! --And this might be one of the longest-running build thread I could find, thanks for sharing the build Gippolot!
  16. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

I think Hero is a darker more brooding picture more like a Gieger than like like Matthews Ice Spirit or the stunning Mirador so that might be the root of your unease rather like finding yourself savaged by a Goldfish. I would love to see more models based on Rodney Matthews work I know Ice Spirit has been mentioned and I would love to see his Martian Tripod design or one of his Scorpion machines as in Lonesome Crow and other pictures, Im sorry I can't get to my copies of his books at the moment so Im am having to rely on my rather addled brain for the titles. Once again a great work of art by yourself and I hope that should you make another based on Matthews work you honour as again with a build thread.

Attached Files:

17. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

just spectacular! lots of these threads get started, but only a small subset get seen through until completion. Well done, and you've finished with an amazing model. If your looking for a publisher for the model the lower hudson valley egiftshop would be honored to host this model: lhvcc.org although this will be in the new super detailed expert category!
  18. PaperChloe

PaperChloe New Member

Wow. Just WOW.
    Good work.
  19. gippolot

gippolot Member

Thankyou very much for your offer jleslie48. I have still to clean up my files and convert them to both coloured and clear PDF. Hopefully that should take me a week or 2. Or should I just release them as PNG files? From my experiments, I can get PFD files to be much smaller, and print much finer.

And yes Gixer, if only RM had given his impression of Thunderchild.:wave:

20. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

I'd say the PDF files will be fine. Some people like to make modifications, and the PNG files are good for that, You can give me both if you like, the designers would love a zip file of the PNG's, and the general public likes the simple one click print of PDF's. I'm still suprised every day how many people are still on dial-up lines, I guess I'm spoiled, so having the smaller PDF is a good thing.

Hey, can this thread be made into one of those build PDF's as well? It would make a great instruction manual/tutorial.