Terrestrial Voyager

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by gippolot, Jan 28, 2007.

1. gippolot

gippolot Member

Next pic.
  2. gippolot

gippolot Member

Rodney Matthews uses made up runes in many of his drawings. This are the ones I've draw to put on the sails.
  3. gippolot

gippolot Member

next try

Attached Files:

4. Jackrum

Jackrum Member

That is a beautiful design... if you need any beta builders please send me a pm I'd love to help.
  5. goney3

goney3 Member

Simply Stunning! :D
  6. gippolot

gippolot Member

Thanks Jackrum, but pardon my ignorance, what is a beta builder?

Thanks also to goney 3 and all compliments proceding, much appreciated.
  7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

A beta builder is someone to testbuild the model for you before "official" release~
  8. gippolot

gippolot Member

Much of this model I have to dream up my self. This is what I guess you could call the bridge balcony or forecastle.

Here is one of the doorways to the bridge. The scale I've set as 1:400, so a human, assuming a human or humanoid type drives this vehicle, their height would be 5 or 6 mm. As a previous poster mentioned, Rodney Matthews iincorporates many insect-like features in his paintings. Hence it is rare to see a typical human type character in his images, but their dimentions are approximately similar.
    Here is one of the doors I made for the bridge/balcony/forecastle.

I mess around with different colours to try and come up with something that pleases me. Then I print it out & glue in place. My latest idea on how it may look.

9. gippolot

gippolot Member

This is the best view from directly behind that I've made up to date. I'm fairly satisfied with the outcome, (I'm refering to the colour), but may change my mind if I feel inclined.

This is a drawing of what I how I want to install the rudder. I'm still deciding on how to construct the rudder. It really needs to be 3D to give a sense of reality.

10. gippolot

gippolot Member

The suspension is going to be a difficult problem. I can either use something other than paper/card, or go for something stronger.
  11. Zathros

Zathros Guest

A beautiful fantasy model. Kind of reminds me of Roger Dean. Who knows, maybe you'll run into Olias of Sunhilow?

Attached Files:

12. Gearz

Gearz Member

This is TOP shelf! gippolot.. I have a about a zillion fantasy / SF pic with subjects that I'd love to convert to card models.. You've inspired me to move a few into the 'Maybe not so impossible' basket.

This is design with a capital D!. Most excellent...!!!

13. gippolot

gippolot Member

Thanks very much for the kind words Gearz. If some of my posts inspire you, then I couldn't ask for anything more.

That said, here are some ideas I've been messing around with. Early on I'd had a thought that it may be possible to use a card beam to support the hull on the wheels.

This is a drawing detailing what I'd thought of.

A jig was made to make a suspension leaf beam from 4 layers of 1.5mm thick card.

But the card began to delaminate quite quickly once I'd started giving it a stress test.

14. murphyaa

murphyaa Designer

For that spar I'd recommend carving it out of balsa wood (800lb cardstock for purists).
  15. gippolot

gippolot Member

My next leaf beam was made from approximately 2 x A4 paper sheets cut into 8mm wide strips and glued together in the jig, just as I'd done with the 1.5mm thick card. This beam was much improved and didn't delaminate as the card had. Also it could be easily sanded to remove any rough edges that had developed during the gluing process.

Here is a pic of the jig made to try the beam out in.

16. gippolot

gippolot Member

Here is a view with the beam in place as I would imagine within the hull of the model. It seems to sit quite well. All that is missing is a jig to assimilate how the beam would fit inside the wheels, and take the load to prevent the weight of the model from causing the wheels and struts to sag.

And a view from the reverse side.

To date I haven't decided whether to go with a laminated paper beam, or use a wood or wire beam instead.
  17. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

well, if it was a real laminated beam like in a covered wagon, you would wrap the beam with a strap/belt of rope/metal/leather to keep it from de-laminating. I would suggest you do the same here with strips of paper, maybe 7 evenly spaced, cinching (sp?) the laminated pieces so they can't de-laminate. also there would be a nail driven through each end so each layer cant slide out, like the spring steel suspension on your car. an end cap should work for that function.
  18. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Why not put a wire in your lam beam?

Also what glue are you using? PVA?

Maybe you should go with a yellow glue designed for wood, because of the stressing involved. Maybe PVA, if that is what you used, can not take the flex stress as well.

19. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I think that a model of this quality deserves an axle that works. I would use whatever works, wood, metal, brass strips. A solid piece of hardwood with the leafs springs carved in. It truly has so much potential. I don't ever recall seeing a model this style anywhere.
  20. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

If you still want the layers to show on the finished arch, what about making 2 narrower laminations(or cutting the lamination in half) and adding card layers Vertically in the center.
    Maybe the Cross-grain will help.