Terrestrial Voyager

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by gippolot, Jan 28, 2007.

1. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Yep this is definately a candidate for the "reserves".

I'm also sposed to be hunting down a new pic of the week for next week but I feel this one deserves another week in the spotlight :D
  2. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

...And could we have this one in the download section once it's finished? :D
  3. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

Hope we still still plan on this going prime time soon????
  4. gippolot

gippolot Member

Yes Mike,

I've been doing a lot of cleaning up of my cad files to make the instructions a bit more user friendly.

But some of the pages that have a large amount of coloured parts may be 0.6 to 0.8 Mb. After I convert from DWG to PNG, colour, then convert to PDF. The instructions, DWG to PDF conversion are much smaller.

5. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

Sounds great......looking forward to this project!
  6. gippolot

gippolot Member

OK, to date the PDF file is 27.3 Mb. 102 pages in total, including instructions and printed pages. Some pages need to be printed on both sides.

I was going to release a RAR file with a password required. To get the password all you would need to do is email terrestrial_voyager@live.com and I will send it.

Anyone can have the password, genuine or fake, I just wanted to get an idea of how many people were interested in looking at it to ask for the password. Especially as I have spent so much time with the instructions and cleaning up of the files.

PLEASE NOTE, the instructions are not up to a professional standard, nor even many of the free models available on the net. NB, all done on cad2D. Don't expect too much.

Lex, let me know what you need and I'll forward it.

7. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Hi Andrew,

If the file is as big as you say it is, it's too big to upload yourself to the download section but if you would still like to put it there you can mail it to Chris (cgutzmer, Admin) and he can get it sorted. Not sure about a 29 MB file though you might want to send him a PM first to check, you can do that by clicking here.

Thanks heaps for sharing this with us, I hope I can get the time to build it one day, but realistically it's sitting in a rapidly expanding build queue that will always be longer than my list of completed models. :D
  8. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

Looking forward to this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. gippolot

gippolot Member

I've managed to set up a site at announce1

Index of /~gippolot

where anyone interested can download the 27MB pdf file. No password required. I've changed my stance on that.

Any questions may be directed to terrestrial_voyager@live.com and will answer as soon as I can. :wave:

I'd be very pleased to know how anyone gets on with this model.

10. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for this kind gift the whole thing is a great complement to Rodney Matthews and a great tribute to your skills and kindness. Now the only thing you have not included is the courage to try and build it, I suppose I shall have to find that on my own..GULP!.
  11. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

Same as above,,,Thank you very, very much for this great gift of art!!! I wont disappoint you!
  12. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

This one features one of the clearest instructions!!!! Thanks a lot for sharing this great model with us Gippolot!!!
  13. gwssms

gwssms Member

Thank you! I've been watching this thread since it's inception. I don't know if I'll ever have the courage to attempt this kit, but I appreciate your generosity in giving me the opportunity.
    Thanks again,
  14. PaperChloe

PaperChloe New Member

Thank you SO much! balloon6
  15. Thank you very much for the access to such a fine fantasy model.:thumb: Eventually, I hope, this will be the centerpiece of a collection. All I have to do is achieve a manual dexterity of something better than my present clam-like one.:wall1:

Tom Williams, Jr.
  16. gippolot

gippolot Member

Thanks for the comments Gixergs, OhioMike, gwssms (Gary), PaperChloe, Tom, and anyone else who has downloaded.

And especially Lex, I always appreciate your comments. I put a lot of hours into the instructions, but I only have 2D CAD to make instructions, and the drawings so it isn't quite what I would like to present.

As per my previous post update, I've the website has changed address slightly, and has a bit more information.

As a work college said to me, "that website looks worse than a cemetery, at least a cemetery has flowers". Well, there is now one picture.

17. Zathros

Zathros Guest

This whole thread is one of the most educational tutorials on "How to build", I have ever read. It is simply amazing and the prize at the end is awesome. I think you can unashamedly be extremely proud of your work.
  18. Mauiman

Mauiman Member

Well just better than I thought. It did not turn out as well as I have expected. It turned out much much and I mean MUCH BETTER ER ER ER than I have expected. Good Job and Good Work and Good Exceliences tward the project. You have aught to be one of the most celebrated paper artest due to taking a picture that has just one view of the vessel and making a entire physical paper model of the vessel so that one can view that thing at all angles.

Good work and I to no end think high of your talent.
  19. gippolot

gippolot Member

Thanks for the comments Zathros and Mauiman.

Very glad to hear you are still hanging around Zathros.

Due to some good advice from Jleslie48, I have made three PDF files.

Instructions, Printed parts, & Printed parts reversed. Nothing else has changed. Maybe one day I'll clean it up. wall1

20. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

I just went through the instructions for this beautiful model, and was blown away. I don't know what you mean by "clean it". I'm very very impressed with the thorough job you did, not just with the parts themselves, but the instructions. Excellent work.