Terrain for Trains "Timber Ridge" layout?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by John Groshko, Nov 20, 2005.

1. John Groshko

John Groshko New Member

I'm thinking of buying the Timber Ridge layout from "Terrain for Trains" for myself. And I was just wondering what you guys think of the product (weather you have one or not). Should I buy the painted version? Is the "factory" paint scheme good (i.e.. is the paint sloppy (or) is was time taken to do it)? Was anybody ever disappointed with the product? Was there anything anybody didn't know about the product before they bought it? Was it worth the money? etc...

I've been thinking about buying a Timber Ridge layout for the past year now; and now I'm really getting serious about it.

Thanks again and I look forward to your guy's responses,

Terrain for Trains URL

John Groshko
  2. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

I went to their site to see what you were talking about. It would be a good start, but I think you would want to add detail later on. You would need to set it up on a stable platform. A sheet of 3/4" plywood on legs, at the minimum.
    Layouts like this are not simple to change/alter, so you should be happy with it before you buy.
  3. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

US$820 + shipping + any taxes seems like an awful lot of money for a 5x9 (Assuming painted layout plus painted mountain). You are close to $20 a square foot for what amounts to basic scenery. No benchwork, no wiring, no track, no additional scenery materials or anything else. I have seen several molded plastic "landforms" (but not these) and none of them looked very good.

If you like the idea of a base that gets you going on construction, you might want to consider the Woodland Scenics modulars, but to be honest I have not worked out the sq ft price for those.

More to the point, you can go a long way with $800 if you start with your own modules or even the standard 4x8 plywood table as described by Model Railroader.

My 2 cents - hope it helps.

PS - Welcome to The Gauge :)
  4. interurban

interurban Active Member

I had a look to John.
    It`s not for me friend.
    I `d rather start from scratch and build a L/O over a few years and have FUN.

Let us know what you decide. :cool:
  5. John Groshko

John Groshko New Member

In terms of price, I don't consider it to be to bad. (Since this would be my first layout)

But I'm not considering buying it from "Terrain for Trains". There's a guy that has one for sale second hand (unopened & painted) for US$250, and the track & bridges for an additional $100.

$350 for an "almost" complete 5x8 layout seems like a reasonable price to me, (and I already have all the trains, buildings, and trees, etc... in bins that I've been collecting over the years)

More importantly than the price; I just want to know what you guys think of the quality of the product.

Thanks for the replies; keep them coming.
  6. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

That price is much better...

I think though that Chris (Interurban) has a point - part of the fun for many modellers is building the layout. However, if you are into modelling buildings, or running trains, then maybe your preference is to get a jump on the benchwork and get to what you like to do. Everyone has a differnet interest and skill - that's what makes this hobby so much fun ;)