Terminology

Jodam

Hi Meander, and welcome.
Kitbashing is taking a kit, & adding to it & or altering it.
LPB's are Little plastic beings. eg: People & animals that make your scenery come alive.
Cheers,
Damien.

F

Fred_M

That's not what LPB stands for. Give you a hint, throw some on the floor by your bed and get up at 2 am. Fred

TrainClown

Didn't you know? All little plastic people don't have fathers. That makes them Little Plastic B------s :D

TrainClown :)

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Fred's right...there are more than one definition for LPB....Damien gave you the G rated version. Stepping on LPB's in the wee hours barefoot might just prompt the PG-13. :)

I think the original term "Kitbashing" derived from when you take two or more car kits and "Bash" them together to come up with one good one. Of course the procedure has expanded since then.

Dick
Texas Chief

Dick Elmore said:
I think the original term "Kitbashing" derived from when you take two or more car kits and "Bash" them together to come up with one good one. Of course the procedure has expanded since then.

Dick
Texas Chief

I thought It came from models in general (not just railroads) of mixing and matching various model parts together

shaygetz

I remember back in the 80s when MR magazine was debating back and forth over whether to call it "kitmingling" vs. "kitbashing", mingling being the better description of what's involved in the process. I dunno but I'd swear Gloria Steinem is behind that one. Then there was the guy who called it "kitcombining"...:eek:

screwysquirrel said:
I thought It came from models in general (not just railroads) of mixing and matching various model parts together

I think that's what I said, only a little differently. I referred to train cars, since
this is a model railroad forum, because I thought it would make it a little easier
to understand.

Dick
Texas Chief

rcwatkins

If you think a buiding is unfit, then bash it. If you think those plastic people stand too long( say 20 years), then bash them. :eek:

NYC-BKO

What would be the politically correct term for kitbashing, as the word bashing might offend someone -:p Why do we call them little PB's are they not scale size?? -:rolleyes:

F

Fred_M

NYC-BKO said:
What would be the politically correct term for kitbashing, as the word bashing might offend someone -:p Why do we call them little PB's are they not scale size?? -:rolleyes:

Point 1, Someday somebody will have to stand up to Rosie, Whoopie, and Opra, let it be us drawing the line in the sand on Kitbashing. We need a backbone, they are just ... well, you know.

Point 2, HO people measure out around 5' 6" which might be normal in some parts of the world, but in the USA them's short people. :D

Fred :wave: :D

shaygetz

Yeah, Fred, they are kinda short ain't they?

Doc, I've always loved that scene, especially after living on Maryland's Eastern Shore. ;)

Here's an example of a small kitbash. The pier deck came from the extra parts that come with Model Power farmhouse kits. The lamp came from a Woodland Scenics kit. The ladder came from an MDC/Roundhouse freight car kit. The wire and stripwood were castoffs from a Campbell Scale Models kit. The girl was cobbled together Frankenstien style from no less than 3 Life Like LPBs. Her hair was made by disolving plastic sprues (those little trees your plastic kit parts come attached to) in liquid plastic cement 'til it was a pliable plastic goop that could be molded to shape. The only unmodified item is the dog and even he was given a collar with a stroke from a OOO brush.

The moral of the story? You have all the makings of your first kitbash right after you've aquired and assembled two or more kits. Don't forget to post pics of your first effort :thumb:

Attachments

• lady.jpg
    lady.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 40

shaygetz

By the way, my picture of Model Railroading Nirvana is usually found under the table at the Train Show...

Attachments

• bash.JPG
    bash.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 42
F

Fred_M

You missed your true calling Bob, you should of been one of them guys who paint the bible on a grain of rice. :D BTW, that woman looks to be , gasp, introduce me. :D She has a sculptured shape too. (wink) Wow, I'm in love with a LPB and the B stands for beauty this time. Fred

brakie

Kitbash??? Isn't that when the kit doesn't go together right and you bash it against the wall? :rolleyes: