Terminal track spacing.

RonP

Member of the WMRC
I am ready to draw out the plan I have made and I need some info on track separation how far to separate for an engine terminal. I am going to use many different type of engines in the terminal even big ones.

Russ Bellinis

I think the NMRA recomended practice (may be a standard) is 2 inches between center lines on straight track and either 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" on curves. There is a problem with that spacing under certain situations. If you have any brass articulated locomotives, they are hinged like the prototype. The result is that the smoke box swings wide over the outside of a curve. We had a visitor run a brass Challenger at a modular set up in the modular club I belong to a few years ago. On a 40 inch radius double track with the NMRA standard track separation if the Challenger was on the inside main, the smoke box hung past the outside rail of the outside main whenever it tried to go around the curves! Plastic articulated locomotives are designed differently, so they are no problem.

N

nachoman

Place the two widest locomotives you have on adjacent tracks, then measure. This is your bare minimum. The NMRA creates a standard that is a compromise for many situations, and your situation may vary.

Generally, the NMRA standard for track spacing is wider than what you would measure on prototypes, even for straightaways. This is probably to accomidate the width of a human finger. If you placed yard tracks at prototype spacing, it may be difficult to re-rail cars.

Another consideration for track spacing may be turnout geometry. In several yards I built, the spacing came about naturally as I assembled turnouts into a ladder. Whatever the resulting spacing was between the diverding routes is what I used.

Kevin

RonP

Member of the WMRC
Thanks guys, thats exactly what I needed to hear.
I really appreciate the assistance.

Pooh Bah
RonP: Is the terminal for overnight storage between runs or for engine repair? Overnight storage could probably get away with standard spacing, but repair tracks would probably be given more space. The only picture that came to hand quickly, CP's Angus shops, looked as if there was a major amount of space between tracks.

RonP

Member of the WMRC
RonP: Is the terminal for overnight storage between runs or for engine repair? Overnight storage could probably get away with standard spacing, but repair tracks would probably be given more space. The only picture that came to hand quickly, CP's Angus shops, looked as if there was a major amount of space between tracks.

I want to make it much the same as this months MRR terminal. I am only mimicing the trackwork an I have a wholem slew of structures built and to be built.

So both it is going to be the whole layout for a while. I tore down my old layout.