Ten-wheeler

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Please help, I'm confused...

When people talk (write?) about ten-wheelers, are they generally refering to 2-8-0 or 4-6-0 or what?

I ran a really really nice Bachmann Spectrum (?) 2-8-0 with a Soundtraxx decoder in it last weekend. What a nice engine! I'll have to wait for DCC on my layout though... :(

Andrew

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
In the context of the train itself, the 2-8-0 is generally referred to as a Consolidation. The 4-6-0 has been cited as the 10 wheeler. Tyco used to have a 4-6-0 that everyone called "the 10 wheeler" and I guess it stuck.

DanRaitz

May 30, 2002
Maricopa, AZ, USA
Most locomotive types, i.e. 4-4-0, 2-6-0, 2-8-0, etc. had a name identity also. For example:

4-4-0 = American
2-6-0 = Mogul
2-8-0 = Consolidation
2-10-0 = Decapod
2-10-2 = Santa Fe
4-6-0 = Ten Wheeler
4-6-2 = Pacific
4-6-4 = Hudson
4-8-4 = Northern
2-8-2 = Mikado
2-8-8-4 = Yellowstone
4-8-8-4 = Big Boy
4-6-6-4 = Challenger

there are more this is just a small sample

Dan

DanRaitz

May 30, 2002
Maricopa, AZ, USA
Mike,

The new loco that Bachmann is coming out with is a 4-6-0.
They have had a 2-8-0 out for at least 3 years now. If the Ten Wheeler (4-6-0) runs anything like their 2-8-0 it should be as good a seller as the Considation.

Dan

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Mee too

Mike - that's my confusion too, since I read in the other forum that there was a ten-wheeler coming out, and I'm thinking --- I just played with one (aforementioned 2-8-0) this past weekend...???

Thanks everyone for your clarifications.

Andrew

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
It's a misleading name, but the force of tradition has it. (The name could also be applied to a 4-2-4 but isn't.)
Ten-wheeler was the most common type of main-line locomotive in Britain. (may have been beat out by the 0-6-0)

dmb3006

May 22, 2002
central new york
Visit site
Ten Wheeler

Dan is correct,the list he posted is part of the Whyte classification system for steam locomotives. Mr.Whyte was in the motive department of the NEW YORK Central railroad.soooooooo a 4-8-4 & 4-8-2 are really NIAGARA & MOHAWK sort of falls in with 4-6-4 Hudson does it not.The NYC gone but not for gotten:cool:

dmb3006

May 22, 2002
central new york
Visit site
Ten wheeler

Gee Woodie we were the Water Level Route,The Pennsylvinia had the roller coaster main line.After all if the Central took the time to classify the engines we get to name them.:cool:

DanRaitz

May 30, 2002
Maricopa, AZ, USA
Dave,

When it comes to steam locomotives there is only one railroad worth modeling. It is the "GREAT NORTHERN"! Home of the largest Mikados ever built (the O-8 class) :D

Dan

dmb3006

May 22, 2002
central new york
Visit site
Ten Wheeler

Well I must admit there is a lot to like about that GN locomotive.I love that all weather cab.Vanderbuilt Tender.Oil fired??I've heard that the quality of coal out west was poor compared to what the big eastern roads used.May have been the reason for those oversized fire boxes.Who was the builder? I like Alco and Lima;but every once and awile Baldwin produced a good one.Smoke box mounted air pumps and Elesco feed water heaters really give that look of power that is so good to see on a frieght hauler.Thanks for a great photo.Its been suggested that there were railroads other than the N.Y.C. I'm still waiting to be convinced.:cool:Is this engine equipped with a Coffen feed water heater.

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi:
While y'all are talkin about "ten" wheelers, i have a question about steam engine "classes". One of the railroads i'm interested in, the C&IM, lists 2-10-2 engines by Baldwin, Alco-Brooks and Lima. The class is listed, respectively, as G-1, G-4 and H-1 with a later Baldwin being an H-2. What does class signify? Is that like a manufacturer's model number in that it has no meaning when you look at other manfacturer's similar engines?

Thanks,
Ted

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
TR
Locomotive classes were assigned by the railroad. The builder may have designated model numbers (f7, gp9, pa), but the railroads used their own ideas for classes.
Most railroads used a letter for a steam locomotive wheel arrangement, then a number for significantly different variations. There might be another letter to indicate a small difference or a second order. Usually, if the letter and number were the same, then the locos were interchangeable as far as assignments were concerned. The letters varied from raiload to railroad; NYC used J for Hudsons, CPR used H.
I have the class specs for 3 different Canadian Rlys; they're all different. (I can type them in if you're interested.)