temperature

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by WESTSIDERIDER310, Jan 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey I was wondering what temperature you guys let your engine get in between tanks, during cool down. I usually let it get down to about 80-90 degrees before restarting, is that too low?
  2. osbornel

osbornel Member

no, just don't let it get back to being really cold. It will be a pain in the a$$ to start. (for me anyway)
  3. Yea i have noticed that it starts faster when the engine is warm.
  4. Davemc

Davemc Member

How do you tell the temperature fo your Engine?
  5. with a temp guage.
  6. Davemc

Davemc Member

WESTSIDERIDER310
    sorry for not knowing the simple, but I have not owned a nitro yet, but what kind of guage? is it on the truck? is it a hand held one? is it something that you should have to keep your engine in good shape?
  7. Davemc

Davemc Member

8. That is the same one I have, but you might not like carrying it everywhere you go. You might want one that is an onboard gauge, unless you don't care about carrying it around. Buy one when you get your truck. Trust me you need one. I killed my first engine by overheating it.
  9. Davemc

Davemc Member

I seen somethign about tuning it with tempture, Does it tell you how to do that in the manual of your RC?

I am not getting my truck till spring, so I think I will look for a temp guage this winter
  10. yea get one, also need an air filter and a fuel filter.
  11. Davemc

Davemc Member

T-maxx dont come with an Air filter? and fuel filter?
    Anything Else? I should be looking for?
  12. Well the basic set up is a temp gauage for the engine, then a airfilter for the carb on the engine. Then a fuel filter which fits between your fuel line. Thats about it. Also need to know how to break in an engine.
  13. Davemc

Davemc Member

that will be in the Manual right? all I Think I know is run it ritch, low Idel for a few tanks???
    but I have been thinking about getting a second hand one off Ebay?
  14. yea you can do that, it will probably be better because its your first.
  15. Davemc

Davemc Member

is it not a good Idea to buy used( not Abused)?? I am going to look for one in good shape
  16. either way you can fix a car which has gone through hell, thats the fun part.
  17. Davemc

Davemc Member

yea I Think I will be fun upgrading as well, getting stronger and better parts
  18. Davemc

Davemc Member

Figure Scratchbuilding and Conversion 101 #1

thanks Westrider
    I ordered a temp guage today off Ebay, and now I am looking for a Savage 25
  19. dudex

dudex Member

Personally I dont let my engines cool down between tanks because I think it is unnecessary. A nitro engines components expand when heated, and are machined to fit perfectly at these temperatures, letting them cool it seems would make them shrink again and therefore when reheating them would cause more wear then keeping them hot. When the engine is running at temps lower than what they are designed for it causes premature wear because the parts dont expand to what they are designed for. So when you start the engine up again after every tank and run the engine at these lower temps more often then your motor wont last as long. This is no way proven but only what makes sense to me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.