Temp gun question

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by SEW1965, Aug 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEW1965

SEW1965 New Member

Hey, I have an Atomik (same as Duratrax) mini temp gun, What is the proper way to get a correct reading? Do I put it over the Glow plug or the heat sink? My problem is that my MT stays around 300 deg. with the body off. I tried to richen the mixture, but I am losing all my performance. I sealed the carb, replaced the fuel and pressure tubes and even purchased the upgraded fuel tank. Let me tell you about my truck,

HPI Nitro MT
    O.S. .15 CVR-X
    THS Racing pipe
    Motor Saver air filter

FUEL: Trinity Monster Fuel, 20% Nitro,12% oil blended to 16% using Lube Booster.

Maybe my truck is running perfect and I am thinking there is a problem because I am doing something wrong with the gun!

Thanks for looking

[file]DSCF0001.JPG,4738,,0[/file]
  2. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

From what I read about mags you wana aim the temp gunat the glow plug and not the fins cause at the top of the fins it will be cooler then how hot the engine is running. right ontop of the glowplug or the screws that hold the head on should be the best!
  3. tnx

tnx Member

is it a real problem if u dont have a temp gun(like me)??? and when do u know its running to hot.

i have a totally stock tamiya tnx and was wondering when u know its overheating without using a temp gun.(might get 1 tho)

Tim
  4. Justin_E

Justin_E Member

well a simple way is to just spit on the engine and if it boils away in like 2 seconds its probly too hot but if it takes a long time dont worry. You should just get a temp gun(only like 20bucks) it will save you in the long run
  5. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

the spit test does work but its not the best. If you want the right reading and to know the exact degree your engine is running get a temp gun!
  6. tnx

tnx Member

ok thanx guys, my lhs said that when u lik ur finger and put it on the heat sink and it goes SSSSSHHHH its to hot otherwise its good, but it still feels so hot sometimes...
  7. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

well some engines are made to get really hot like my P4 .21 I had it was said that they do run verry hot.
  8. tnx

tnx Member

i guess u dont know bout the tnx...
  9. rustler

rustler Member

if ask me its a simple solution dont buy a temp gone dont spit on your engine put your hand over it(dont touch it ) but it is pretty obvious whether or not its over heating, and your performance in the grass will not be as good.
  10. tnx

tnx Member

hmmm, well i think i might overheated it when i was tuning it for the first time...but then i noticed that and i turn out the needle like 3 times, and tuned again so i suppose its good now
  11. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

I think thats kind of stupid, you cant tell for sure how hot it is running by doing that, there's no way to do that! BUY A TEMP GUN, THEN YOU WILL ALWAYS KNOW THE TEMP!
  12. tnx

tnx Member

ya, as soon aas i get money lolz[:p]
  13. Justin_E

Justin_E Member

a temp gun was one of the first things I bought because i was having temp probs in the beginning
  14. rustler

rustler Member

what ever i've never had a problem with over heating and i dont have a temp. gun, and you can tell if they are over heating by their performance and how hot it feels
  15. rustler

rustler Member

it worked for me, but not tryin to start an argument dj just tellin you my perspective thats all
  16. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

ya I understand and all its just, to me hard to tell how hot it is from puttin your hand over the top. And I myself have never had problems with my engines over heating. If the hand over the engine works for you then do that, if the spit works for you then do that, if you want to get a temp gun then do that, its all up to you and what you wana pick!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.