Tell me about Texas

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by n810, Aug 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n810

n810 Guest

Ok, it looks like I might be getting a promotion at work, but the catch is, I'll have to live in Dallas. Since you guys are pretty much the only group of people I trust on the 'net, would any of you who live there or have been there please saturate me with all sorts of good info on place to/not to live, things to do, etc?

2. lolson

lolson Member

I lived in Austin for 6 months when I was 5, the only thing I remember is the weather. It was HOT and humid but when it rained it poured down pretty heavy.
    Bring lots of light clothing and be prepared to sweat a little.
  3. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Texas is a great place to live... but of course we have our own unique situations, challenges, and we've definately got our own history, which a lot of us are pretty proud of.
    Where are you from? That might color how you view the move.

4. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

I spent quite a while (as I think about it maybe it was only a week) in North West Texas in a little town called Denver City a small oil patch town. Very nice friendly people with some strange hobbies (they would bet on where in a holding pen a cow would drop its waste by products. . .)

All Kidding aside this is a true story. We were in Denver City for the Holidays with my in-laws and there had been quite an ice storm with was lots of Black ice on the roads. On the way to the Airport we were blown off the road by a semi running at around 70MPH. The Van almost rolled but only blow out two tires. There we were stranded on the Highway and only one flight out of the airport for several days. Along comes a Highway maintenance truck to see if we needed help. Once they found out that we needed a ride to the airport they piled in our stuff and squeezed us in and drove us 40 miles to the airport. When they dropped us off they would not take any payment and I couldn’t even buy them lunch. I think you will find Texans to be too your liking I know I did.

Jim Nunn
  5. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

I was born and grew up in Denton, Texas (Two degrees from what is now the University of North Texas). Still a VERY good university and a lot cheaper than many others). Denton is about 40 miles north of Dallas and is a nice place to live, but a horrible commute to Dallas ("Big D") on I-35. Light rail is in the works for "Little D" to "Big D" transportation (partly working now).

I would prefer to live in one of the many nearby "bedroom communities" because they are less expensive than Dallas and life is a little less hectic. Check your roadmap. Duncanville, Arlington, Garland, and Mesquite are the nicer of the adjacent (across the street type) suburbs. Somehow, the towns south of Dallas don't have the reputations of those in the other directions.

Dallas is a great city, offering just about everything you could want: good zoo, great art museum, great symphony facilities as well facilities for rock concerts, a good aquarium, great malls, etc. Baylor and Parkland hospitals are nationally recognized. SMU. TCU (in Ft.Worth) UT Arlington, UNT. Professional and college sports. Hiking and biking trails. And as a newcomer, you MUST go to the State Fair of Texas in the fall---there is nothing like it in the US (A number of museums and the Cotton Bowl are on the permanent fair grounds site). And LOTS of apartments as well as family homes.

The worst is lots of people in automobiles, because it is not easy to get around on public transportation (both bus and rail), although my son drives about 2 miles to a terminal and rides the rail transit about 30 miles to the VA hospital in Arlington where he works (The VA is another good feature).

I've visited most of the major cities in the US, and most of them don't have much to offer that Dallas can't match, except for history. Dallas is just to young to offer much in that category.

On the web, check out the Dallas Morning News, Texas Highways Magazine,, etc.

Unfortunately, there are only two decent hobby shops left on the Dallas side of the Metroplex. Fort Worth ("Cow Town") is the other side, and they have lots to offer besides cows (maybe a good hobby shop).

Besides all that, you will find that Texas is a beautiful state, and that most true Texans will go out of their way in hospitality.

If you have anything more specific, feel free to send me a private message or a post like today's. I'm glad to be of help.

Old Saying: "I'm Texas born and I'm Texas bred, and when I die, I'll be Texas dead."
  6. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I worked in Houston, a long way from Dallas, but still in Texas. Great place. Actually only met a couple of Texan's though, most people I worked with were either from different states or from another country.
  7. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I grew up in Texas, but down in Ausitn. Depending on how much you like to travel, and how much time you have, Texas has it all. Order the Texas Travel Guide, to find out the "touristy" stuff.

For specifics of the Dallas area, it looks like Bob is your man. I never got up there much except a few trips to Six Flags, and one Cowboys game....
  8. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

I've been to Dallas few times for biz. I like it. Big enough to have anything you need, and very clean. Clean. And lots of parks and greenery, surprizing (to me) for Texas. There's a nice little air museum there too, with an He-111 (I think very the one used on the Battle of Britain and/or Paton movies) and an Me-109, F-104 Starfighter, a Hurricane and more.
  9. 46rob

46rob Member

I lived in South Texas for about four years, so I can't really comment on Dallas--that'd be like asking someone from New Orleans about Atlanta. Texas is a lot of different things--depending on where you're at. Nearly 850 miles form Orange to El Paso, sits in two time zones, terrain varies from gulf coast beaches to the rocky Rio Grande canyons, to pine forests to prairie, rolliing hills to dead flat. Trememndous mix of people, too. Soem great--others you wouldn't want to even think about. Just like everywhere else.
    Just keep in mind that it's gonna be different from where you currently are--just like most any other place would be as well..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.