telephone pole lines

Doug Trouten

Dec 3, 2003
Davison, Michigna, USA
Visit site
Most Model Railroaders I know dont put lines on the telephone or power or telegraph poles. There are a couple reasons for this. The lines are fairly hard to keep clean and it is fairly hard to get the lines to look prototypical, especialy over elevations. Also depending on where the lines will be located they may cause problems with layout maintenance.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I was just at the Great American Train Show here in Pensacola and there was a vender there selling a promising looking line in both HO and N. It was almost like rubber and it would stretch and flex in all manner of ways. Don't know what it's called but it came in 100' rolls. You probably can find it in the Walther's N+Z catalog.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I recall reading about the use of elastic thread like the kind in sock cuffs....probably cheaper than a hobby product but I don't know how it might look...
Ralph

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Hi Rich,
The elastic line mentioned is called "EZ Line". I use it on my NTrak modules and it works great. It comes in two thicknesses and I believe three colors. I use the thinner stuff on my "N" scale telephone poles. I've snagged it so many times setting up my module and have yet to break it or snap a pole or break it off a building. The only drawback is prototypically it does not have a sag typical of a real line. It does come in 100' rolls and I think it runs $10 -$12

check out www.berkshirejunction.com

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Well, I did have telephone and power cables on my N-gauge and H0 layouts, heres a photo.
bts09.jpg

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Ror the heavy looking wire slung underneath, I used (Solder- painted) it stays in the position you place it. For the rest, I used shearing elastic. (Stays taut) Comes in 50’ rolls.
Shamus