TC3 gearing

Discussion in 'RC Onroad Forum' started by coolboxerman, Feb 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolboxerman

coolboxerman New Member

i have a question, i'm running a green machine 3 in my tc3 and my gear ratio is 7.4:1. the problem is that it gets crazy hot, too hot to touch after each run. am I overgearing it?, how many teeth should my pinion and spur be?
  2. mastmec

mastmec Member

Is 7.4:1 your final or primary(motor/spur) ratio? What pinion and spur are you using now?
  3. coolboxerman

coolboxerman New Member

it's a 59T spur, 25T pinion.
  4. mastmec

mastmec Member

Go back to stock gearing and see if that helps, your motor is a high RPM motor, your running a 2.36:1 primary, I would go much higher, stock first though.
  5. timrock

timrock Active Member

how do you figure 7.4:1 ?
  6. timrock

timrock Active Member

to get good help,you need to tell me what the ratio is.7.4 to one what.

count how many times the motor turns to one turn of the drive wheel and let Me know.
  7. mastmec

mastmec Member

If you have so much experiance at this, figure it out yourself.
  8. timrock

timrock Active Member

thats not nice to tell the guy,mastec.whats you problem?
  9. mastmec

mastmec Member

That was for you TIM.
  10. timrock

timrock Active Member

well you make no sense coming in here and coming across as if you have experience where you do not.
  11. mastmec

mastmec Member

Well the second dumb question you asked was "7.4 to what" which he said in the beginning, TO 1.
  12. coolboxerman

coolboxerman New Member

the motor turns approximately 7.4 times to make the drive wheel go one full revolution.
  13. mastmec

mastmec Member

One other thing is to check the drive train for any binding and make sure the pinion gear is not too close to the spur.
  14. timrock

timrock Active Member

ok 7.4 is very low gearing.you are not over geared.
  15. timrock

timrock Active Member

man with them small wheels and a 7:1 wheel to shaft ratio,you must have hardly any top end speed.
  16. coolboxerman

coolboxerman New Member

well, i use my rc to run over friends' xmods mostly. I usually give them a head start then accelerate and run over their xmods. Man, so much fun doing that
  17. timrock

timrock Active Member

well if you are enjoying it then thats what matters.7:1 ratio? your TC3 must be pretty quik off the line.i bet,you just hit it the trigger and it is Gone.
  18. mastmec

mastmec Member

OK timrookie, 7.4:1 ratio is at the top of the gearing, one more pinion size and it will be maxed out, he's geared for top end. Where do you get off telling him that he's geared very low.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.