Tarps

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Hi all,
I made an load for my heavyduty flat out of a piece of wooden handrail, it has a nice shape to it for a high and wide load but being a piece of wood what would anyone suggest to use as a tarp to cover it.:confused: What has anyone else used?

Thanks.

Rusty Spike

Dec 5, 2003
Mankato, MN
Visit site
If you want the modern tyvec/plastic look, cut a small piece of garbage bag. It can be stretched fairly tight and sinched up using tape on the bottom. Model airplane pin stripe works well for strapping as well.

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Thanks Gary and Rusty,
I guess I need it to look like canvas, as I model the sixties, tissue is probably the best bet, unless someone else knows a secret material.

F

Fred_M

If the facial tissue is a bit weak try that thin wrapping paper they call tissue at the gift store soaked with wet glue. Some brands of face tissue is like toilet paper and falls apart. What brand you use Gary? Stuff I'm talking about we used it as a kid on balsa built up airplanes because we couldn't afford silkspan. Remember them Gillowood Planes for $2? Fred

F

Fred_M

If you have a piece give it a try and let us know. It should if the medium will soak in the silk. Fred

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
I was thinking that you might could possibly also use dullcoat rather liberally as an option. I am curently put of both Silk and Dullcote though until I can get to the hobby shop to buy some more DC and I would need to check at wally world for the silk or the local fabric outlet.

The reason I was thinking silk it that it is so finely woven and so thin that it would closely simulate an HO scale tarp in thickness and appearance.

I would also like to perhaps model a large canvas tent of some form on kmy layout. like one of those that they use for revival meetings at churches or something. I will have to experiment a bit and see how it turns out.