Tarkin's desk model

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Millenniumfalsehood, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Actually, it's a new Death Star-type station code-named "Palpatine's Eye." I know there was a Star Destroyer of some sort called "Eye of Palpatine," but this was my friend's idea, not mine.

He had me build this for his fleet. Originally it was one of those 30 cm desk globes which he modified by putting in a concave superlaser lens and spray-painted gray. After I heard that it was 30 cm though, I immediately thought of the 30 cm Death Star kit. The kit doesn't exactly fit the globe, and my friend cut the superlaser too small and too high on the hemisphere, but I think it turned out alright. If I had to do it again, I'd make sure it was one of those smooth globes, as this one had mountains and valleys I had to remove, and I'd make sure the dish was the right size and in the right spot. To get the flat pieces to conform to the round body, I smeared a lot of Elmer's glue on the backside, bonded one side of the piece, bonded the edge nearest the main equilateral trench, then gently work the piece around with my finger until it had assumed the same shape as the globe. As you can see, it worked like a charm.

I highly recommend trying this sometime! It's a break from the traditional (read: boring) normal globe and takes up no more room. Just make sure you get a smooth globe.
  2. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Sweet! That is a great job. Looks great.
  3. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

My thoughts exactly. Great job MF!:thumb:
  4. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Very cool!! Much better than a conventional display stand or hanging it.

Good job amigo! :)
  5. Millenniumfalsehood

Thanks guys! I guess I should also mention that when I finished it and showed it to my dad, he said he'd peruse the local shops to find me another globe so I can make another one. :mrgreen:
  6. Simmo

Simmo An Older Junior Member

he he that looks fantastic. Never thought to change my globe for a deathstar.
  7. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Bonus points for the display. It makes me think of the models the engineers that would have presented the concept to the Empire amongst others and that one would have stood out as the final.

Then the order for slaves would have been put out to construct it.

Tarkin, having been newly appointed in his duties was highly motivated by such an ominous task to construct the new Empire Battlestation. Folding his hands behind his back he stepped away from the engineers seated at the table. Glancing out the plexisteel viewport of his Star Destroyer he raised his left hand to his chin and commanded...

"Begin collecting labour for this project at once, Lord Vader will be with you shortly to guide you to your sources"

The engineers glanced at each other in terror. It was bad enough to have sweated through the presentation to the cold, emotionless, Tarkin but to merely stand in the presence of Vader made their skin crawl.

What did they do to deserve this.
  8. Millenniumfalsehood

You'll notice also that it has those tick marks on the mounting arm, which could be sector callouts the engineers put on it as a way of quickly identifying the areas of the Death Star still under construction. :)
  9. Gearz

Gearz Member

Brilliant Idea !!:thumb: I've got to have one now... :yep:
  10. wildheart258

wildheart258 New Member

OMG! Brilliant...start selling on EBAY ASAP!
  11. Patron_zero

Patron_zero Member

A great place to find globes, actually plastic or acrylic spheres is a craft supply store, best time to browse is in the after-holidays sales.

Over-sized Christmas tree ornaments might work as could Easter eggs (cut in half for the round end), Good Hunting !
  12. bigfan

bigfan New Member

Nice work!
  13. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

I like this, should make it bigger, lol
  14. Millenniumfalsehood

I actually found some cheap globes at Walmart which should work. Stay tuned . . .:cool:
  15. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Swwweeeeet. :thumb:
  16. Soulreaperlord

Soulreaperlord New Member

Wicked model. and it gave me an idea on a 40k project i have in mind. Now to see how to see if I can reuse the concept for a Necron Super heavy upscale from epic size