tanks,good ones

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by paper warrior, Oct 29, 2006.

1. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

i know that alot of work has been put into these.there are currently two models there,a t-34 which used to run over tiger tanks in wwii to save ammo and a panzerkamphwagen which took 6 shermans to destroy. anyway here's the link http://www.pluto.dti.ne.jp/~naka/download.html
  2. Darwin

Darwin Member

Thank you for sharing the find. The pictures of the models look good. Can't wait to get the files downloaded so I can take a closer look.
  3. charliec

charliec Active Member

Have a look at the "first impressions" section of these forums - there are reviews of both of these. Aki Naka is currently working on a Sherman model.

I think you've mangled your quotes .... According to US Army Ground Forces statistics, destruction of a single Panther was achieved after destruction of 5 M4 Shermans or some 9 T-34s (www.achtungpanzer.com). Fortunately for the Allied armies German industry could only build about 6o00 Panthers.

4. Brian Williams

Brian Williams New Member

those tanks look awsome! the t-34 was a cool tank (for what it was).
  5. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

6. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

There was an excellent 'Extreme Machines' episode dedicated to tank crews. 1 Sherman commander went through 5 tanks in one day. He kept surviving coming back to get another. They lied to those poor lads when they gave them Shermans making them think it was the best tank in the world when it was in fact dubbed by the Germans 'the Ronson' after the cigarette lighter that was made famous for always 'lighting on the first strike'.

I think there was another program from the same channel that pitted the best of the best in that era with the T34 series getting the best tank of ww2 honors.

When I made my first digital model of a Sherman I did some research for details. While perusing a tank book I spied a very interesting fact about the T34. During the german push, the russians packed up their factories and moved them east. They all converged into a large production area where armor was eventually made called 'Tankograd' while tankograd was being attacked the factory was still in full swing with armor coming off the assembly line and immediately being crewed and sent out to fight.
  7. charliec

charliec Active Member

Tankograd is the city of Chelyabinsk in the Urals - the tank factories from Karkov and Leningrad were moved there. The German army never got anywhere near it. There was a tank factory in Stalingrad (today Volgagrad) which did produce tanks until it was mostly destroyed by the fighting in Stalingrad.

The Sherman possibly represents one of the major failures of the US Army in WW2. Although it was reliable, reasonably fast and comfortable the lack of an effective main gun made it a sitting duck for the Panthers and Tigers.
    There were serious proposals to use the British 17lb gun as the standard weapon in 1942 but it was turned down. When the Sherman had a decent main gun it was quite effective - the Wehrmacht would not engage the British Firefly (Sherman with 17lb gun) except at long range. The Israeli Super Shermans (105mm gun) were at least equal to T-54 and T-55 in the 1956 and 1967 wars.

8. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

You must watch the military channel more than I do, and I'm watching it right now.
  9. charliec

charliec Active Member

I don't think Oz has the military channel on payTV (the equivalent of cable in the US). I prefer the old way - read books. The research on TV shows is often suspect in part because they are working to budgets and deadlines.

10. cbg

cbg Member

I imagine this is a good example (T-34 vs. Tiger/Panther) of overwhelming, superior numbers always defeating a superior product.

I have either read or heard anecdotes of while the German machines where much like fine watches, they took too long to produce and where somewhat finicky, whereas the Russian machines would go anywhere and do anything despite being rude and crude. That, and there were so darn many of them. . .

I confess to having been snobbish in my younger years towards Soviet equipment, but have since developed an admiration for the Great Patriotic War arms industry.

11. charliec

charliec Active Member

Russian armour wasn't really "rude and crude" - the first version of the T-34 was noted for its fine finish. The Russians were superb industrial engineers - they figured out exactly how far to let quality standards slip to produce the maximum numbers of tanks without compromising operational performance.

12. PapaBear

PapaBear Member

In reference to its 'build quality', some of you might already know if this, but for those that don't know, this might prove an extremely interesting read;-

There are links to videos on the same page showing recovery op.
  13. charliec

charliec Active Member

I think the Wehrmacht might have had the T-34 for longer than 6 weeks - long
    enough to add a commander's hatch from a Pz III/IV. The images from the museum are interesting - by 2004 the T-34 had been partially dismantled and it certainly was in excellent condition.