Discussion in 'Armory & Military' started by uncledave, May 31, 2009.

1. uncledave

uncledave New Member

Hi Happy people! :D
    I've just posted in my profile's albums a lot of picture of my recents works!
    I hope to receive comments and tips!!
  2. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

Went to your profile and took a gander at your models. Impresive. I see you took the challenge and did the BUFF, It looks like it took up half of your ceiling space.
  3. uncledave

uncledave New Member

Thank you so much Mr Silver! i'm so happy to meet people that know the work inside the papermodels, in my country nobody understand!
  4. uncledave

uncledave New Member

5. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

IO godere sguardo a tuo pittoresco. molto bene fatto. Puoi fare un corso monografico e come tu fatto loro ,

I enjoyed looking at your pictures, very well done. Can you make a tutorial on how you made them.

I especially liked the WW-I Tank.
  6. uncledave

uncledave New Member

Too generous Mr Silver! with the translation in italian that honor! The two wwI tanks are my firsts works (4 year a go) they are product of "GPM Kartonowa" from Polonia. For me is the best european producer of papermodels.(after "Modelik"!)
    in this summer i hope to complete the Panzer IV that's a very very long work (1 year).
    The next tank that I want to built is the M1a or the T55

Good Work Happy People! :D
  7. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Nice Work Uncle Dave!!

This work shows good model building technique!

Keep it up!

"Uncle JR"
  8. charliec

charliec Active Member

This is not intended as a criticism but the gun barrels on some of your models look oversized. A simple way to get the diameter of gun barrels right is to roll the barrel around a drill of about the right diameter. So for the 75mm gun barrel on the Pz IVH in 1/25 - use a 3mm drill. It often helps to damp the card with water to help roll small diameters - be careful since it's easy to wet the card too much and damage the printed surface. For barrel diameters where you can't find a drill of the right diameter - try sanding down a piece of dowel chucked in a drill to the right diameter or try knitting needles - you can sometimes find one with the right diameter.

To get the thickness of the gun barrel looking right try rolling the barrel up from 80gsm and just use the gun barrel part in the model as an outer skin. Check out my build of the papermodels-bg KV-2 for an example of this.

I'd avoid GPM's T-55 model - it's oversimplified - Modelik's T-54 is much better although harder to build because of the fine detail. If you are looking for reasonably challenging models try just about any of WAK's armour models, especially the recent ones. GPM models are reasonable but some of them have accuracy and fit problems. Halinski armour models are the best around but are very complex.

9. uncledave

uncledave New Member

THIS IS A POST!!!! thank you Charlie,you have reason! but I stopped all my models in a "limit of perfection" because if they don't finish never!!! if i spend one year for one model....who go to job? I use only one type of paper 100gr, no dremel, no "work bench". Only a scissor, glue, and my hands. were my hands can't build ,i stopped!
    i'f i want some details, i built it in extra large size!
    just rember, for me is only a papermodel! no a reason of life!! :D
    the times of execution is the challenge not the final product.
    the only tank that i've built in a long time it's the panzer IV (one year)
    the others only a month!

I like the criticism because is the only way for explane a think!

Good Work Happy People! :D
  10. uncledave

uncledave New Member

Waiting for comments! ;)
  11. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

Only thing I can think to comment is that I, for one, agree with you Uncledave. The cost in time, effort, and unfinished projects can be worse than the imperfections that result from the learning process. I once covered a car show where a fellow came in an old 1928 Ford with wife and gang of kids. Just a regular guy, he put a Pinto motor in it, seats from some other car, etc. The guys with perfectly restored antiques were outraged. What they couldn't understand was if he had waited until he found a 1928 engine and could afford a 1928 interior, he wouldn't be there until after the kids were grown & gone.