Tank found in working order after 57 years underwater!

Stev0

Interesting that it isnt rusted at all.

Makes you wonder what else lies about under the peat marshes in those areas.

I wonder how unstable the unused rounds are.

S

shrike

Well, they've managed to recover 1000 year old bodies out of peat bogs and have them be ina remarkable state of preservation. I doubt the tannin would be as good for steel as it seems to be for skin, but the oxygen poor cold water and peat would keep things nicely.

Depending on what the rounds are they're probably just as good (or bad) as they ever were. I've used 20 year older ammunition in rifles without any great problems.

46rob

Cold oxygen poor water/silt is an excellent preservative. The warship "Vasa" was removed from Stcokholm harbor, nearly intact, after almost 400 years' entombment. Lots of the planes at the museum, here, came from the bottom of Lake Michigan. The only survivinrg Brewster Bufffalo was recovered from a lake in Russia.....the list goes on. Natures way of archiving the past.

charliec

There was a recent report of a KV-1 being recovered from a Russian river in similar condition to the T-34. I guess the secret is the cold water and being submerged in mud.

Regards,

Charlie

cbg

how about a fully intact u-boat? or an a6m zero?

Amazing. . .tanks, boats, planes. Still lots of treasures out there. U-534s fate is in doubt (read here).

Thanks, angevine. cbg

u_534composite.jpg

a6mcomposite.jpg