Tank car weathering

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by Glen Haasdyk, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

I just finished assembling a proto 2000 8,000 gal riveted tank car.

Now I'm wondering about weathering. I think this is a gasoline car so there wouldn't be any dark oil stains on it. I think some light streaking down the sides and a bit heavier on the dome but I'm not sure.
    Also the car has a built date of 1920 and I'm modeling the fifties. Maybe the weathering would be heavier?
    Anyone have any ideas?
  2. Sirfoldalot

Sirfoldalot Member

Such a pretty car, hate to see it messed up. However, it is doubtful that you would see one that clean - unless it just came from the shop. A few light streaks down the dome and side would be OK, and some dust, rust, road grime along the frame and trucks. Nice Job - layout too.
  3. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

Hmm, gasoline...I'll take a look at some pictures of the C&S tank car operation. They hauled gas from Golden to Idaho Springs...see if I can help you...
  4. Sawdust

Sawdust Member

Car 30 years old needs some serious weathering. Rust on the seams & all the rail contacts to tank,rust & dirt on trucks,dry brush the color of tank on the lettering right below dome to look as though the fuel faded some lettering paint.Black wash w/indian & alcohol solution. Check this web site out for info for railcars. http://www.railcarphotos.com/ You will have to register to gain access & your reply to activate may show up in your spam area. Happy weathering & keep us updated w/pics.
    Jim :thumb:

Sometimes winning is helping someone else cross the finish line. :wave:
  5. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

Actually, I don't think it being old justifies heavy weathering at all. Especially with a tank car. Tank cars would be periodically cleaned and re-painted. More frequently than other cars. I've known of facilities which specialized in cleaning tank cars...but I doubt that a car hauling gasoline for 30yrs would necessarily go to them.

The leasing company would desire for their car to have a long life. Regular maintenance is key here. Glen, I'm sure you know, that pictures of the 1950s are very deceiving with respect to the maintenance standards of the time period...stuff wasn't as well taken car of in the 50's (specifically steam engines in the 1950s were not kept as clean as before) and especially the 60s as during early times.
  6. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Glen, there are plenty of commodities that that car could be hauling besides gasoline. Here's a link to some info on tank car traffic in Canada.

I think that Michael is correct: tank cars were subject to frequent inspections and would have been kept in good repair. A little spillage around the dome could be appropriate, but, for the most part, some road grime and splash on the trucks and lower tank should suffice. If you're using an airbrush for weathering, you could give the entire car a very fine overspray of well-thinned (at least 90% thinner) black, just to tone down that "new" look, then remove the trucks to spray some well-thinned mud or dust on the frame and underside of the tank - the wheels throw a lot of dirt up, particularly in wet weather. Weather the trucks, too. Of the ones below, the Sun Oil is factory-lettered, the Imperial Oil was done with C-D-S dry tansfers (applied as decals) and the other two were lettered with Champ decals.

7. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

I broke out my C&S books after church and the photos of gas carrying tank cars look just like the cars that Wayne has shared: surprisingly clean.
  8. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

Okay, that's probably what I'll do, a light weathering to 'kill' the new look and leave it at that. Thanks for the help and the pics.
  9. would search google images and find some prototype photos to look at for weathering.
  10. CCrider

CCrider New Member