Talking about Inclines

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
I have just completed my 8% incline on a trestle, all my loco's (Shays-Climax's & Heislers) climb it without any trouble.

Attachments

• 3more.jpg
    3more.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 215

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
cog operations

Seeing Shamus's beautiful layout reminds me of a question I keep forgetting to ask here on The Gauge.

Does anyone ever model cog railways? I don't believe I have ever seen any reference to it, nor have I see any motive power that I thought was designed for cog operations.

Bob

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
8%.......... 8% !! The Garahbara Express would never get up that! Wouldn't matter how much of a run up it had!

"Everybody out!!!........ and start pushin' ! ", would be the conductor's cry! :eek:

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Bob, Re cog railroads in model form
Fleischmann do a cog loco in H0 which runs on their cog track, it can climb up a 12% grade pulling 4 coaches.
-----------------------------------

Thought you might like to see a better photo of the grade.

climba.jpg

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Shamus,
That seven spot is a great looking climax! Seems to be doing well shoving those logs up that 8%,,,,,,8%!!????,,,grade.
So, the second largest industry supported by your railroad is a
sand quarry????
Great shot, I like the rock detail behind the trestle.
Pete

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Shamus;

Thanks for the info on the cog railway. With all the narrow gauge interest I just thought it was interesting no one that I have heard about seems to model that sort of thing. Of course, it is more of a European thing. I rode on one once in Germany at the Zugspitz, where the train actually travels up through the center of the mountain. Built by Hitler for what reason I'm not certain.

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Bob,

We have a cog railway here in New Hampshire that climbs up Mount Washington. I went on it when I was little.Been waiting for the kids to get older to take them up.Maybe this summer I'll do it.

Shane

There's also a cog railway that ascends to the top of Pike's Peak in Colorado. It's currently traversed by some Swiss motorized passenger cars, but in the parking lot they have a couple of old cog steamers on display. Of course, the fitness buffs have a trail they can hike to the summit (14,110 ft) and there's a road too. The elevator to the summit should be installed soon!;)