Taking coal...

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
They say that every picture tells a story, so I'll leave it at that, and keep quiet...for now.
Train_Brain_1482.jpg

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
doctorwayne, FANTASTIC PIC!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: it looks SO REAL!:thumb: :D i LOVE to see YOUR work!:thumb: :D ...but just one pic? come on doctorwayne, i am jonesing for MORE!!!;) :D THANK YOU!

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks, guys. There are lots more pictures of this loco and her sisters in various stages of undress in the Scratchin' & Bashin' Forum, and several more in some past pages of the Photo Forum.
The loco is from Athearn, and the coaling tower is by Walthers: both have been modified.

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
doctorwayne, THANKS for the info on the where abouts of other pics you have on here.:thumb: (although I nominate you start a thread in this section for all your FANTASTIC and VERY INSPIRATIONAL work;) ) i am shocked to learn that engine is an Athearn:eek:, i honestly thought it was brass!!! CRIPES you do OUTSTANDING WORK!!:thumb: :D THANKS!:D

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
looks so real

hi doc---i really like the black and white images---this looks like a photograph from the 40's---you'll have to teach me your techniques

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks again, folks. I'm also answering in order to see if I can get this thread to show up as one of my subscriptions, as unless it does, I get no notification of replies to it, hence my tardy response to your compliments.
*The bump did the trick.
In thanks for your indulgence, here's the original, colour version of the photo posted earlier.
Train_Brain_1481.jpg

Wayne

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi,

Great work!! I'm just about to begin a scratchin' n' bashin' project to turn a Mantua 2-8-2 into a real locomotive, so your pictures just kinda fell right into place. I'll look at your other posts and hopefully I'll come up with something that faintly resembles your work...

Gus (LC&P).

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
It's funny that you should mention that, Relic, as my original inclination was to include "don't it?" in the caption. That's one of my favourites by him: from that era and earlier, with Faces.

Wayne

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
Your Athearns dress up nicely with the detail work you've done! I'd not have recognized them save for the valve motion. I have a couple, and there are several things I'd like to change to make them look better (the Trix mikes currently put them to shame).

I'll have to hunt up your scratchin and bashin threads.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Again, thanks for the compliments. Not much detailing work done on the locos really: headlight, markers, and bell, along with the numberboards and a new pilot air reservoir. The stack is brass tubing and the "canvas" sunshades are .003" brass shimstock. I also added a new wind deflector on the cab roof. There were probably more changes made to the tender. My intention was to keep them as close to the original USRA appearance while still giving them a "family" look. Part of the reason was to save some work and get them into service quickly. That plan went out the window when I began modifying them to increase their tractive effort.
Fluesheet, I certainly agree with you about the Trix loco, although around here they cost more for one than I paid for all four of my Athearns.
Gus, as far as I know, the Tyco/Mantua Mike is a generic loco from the era when most modellers weren't too fussy about prototypes. Cary (Bowser) makes boilers to fit the Mantua drive that will convert it into a very good-looking version of either the light or heavy USRA Mikado. If I could find a couple of cheap Mantua drives, I'd build a couple, as they have good pulling power with all that built-in weight.
I modified a stock Mantua with a can motor and NWSL gears for my son. If I can get some photos of it, I'll post them. It looks like a cross between a CPR loco and a NYC H-10.

Wayne