Take a Train To work Day

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by N Gauger, Nov 14, 2003.

1. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Don't know who started this, but it's supposed to happen November 14, 2003
  2. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Gee, we were supposed to wait til then??? :D :D :D
  3. NScale

NScale Member

hmmmmmmm, gonna be hard to do when a train doesn't go there.
    Will it count if I take one of my locos with me to work????? ;) :D
  4. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Unfortunately, most NJ Transit routes run in one direction only, into the NYC area in the AM, and back in the PM. There is a station in Boonton, and one in Morristown, not too terribly far from where I work. And Morristown is one of the few routes with bi-directional service. Boonton to Morristown by car is a 15 minute trip. By train, I would have to go from Boonton to NYC, then come back out on the Morris line to Morristown. Time? About 2 hours. If the Boonton line were bi-directional, I could make the trip by train in about 30 to 40 minutes, still needing two trains. There have been times when I would gladly have taken the train if it were possible. Oh well. I'm sure ridership wouldn't justify the costs of upgrades probably required to signalling etc.
  5. cpr_paul

cpr_paul Member

I think the idea is to take a model train with you to work - to show off the hobby. Not that actually taking a train to work isn't a bad idea - I do it (almost) everyday. And I get to take a streetcar too...
  6. N Gauger

That's it... :) :) You are supposed to promote the Model RR Hobby by "Bringing a train to work with you" to start up a conversation with someone that "may" get them interested in the hobby. :D :D

Like I wrote before, I don't know where this started - but this is the 3rd year I've heard about it. :D
  7. mhdishere

mhdishere Member

I had good intentions for bringing a model train to work today, but it never materialized. Since I commute by NJ transit train, Path, and Subway it would have had to be something I could fit in my backpack, something not too delicate, etc. It just never happened. Oh well, next year.
  8. Vic

Vic Active Member

The "burning question" is....What do those of us who don't work do?:D :D :D :p
  9. N Gauger

Bring a car or engine along when you go out & see if anyone asks: "Why?"

Or go "railfanning" during the day & see if anyone asks about what you are doing....

You never know until you try. :D :D
  10. Vic

Vic Active Member

LOL Mikey!!:D I was thinking more about a class action suit against whoever came up with the idea 'cause us "burdens to society" are being discriminated against!!!!:D :D :D :D
  11. jawatkins

jawatkins Member

Well, Vic - look at it this way, if you are retired or laid off from work- you can be working at enjoying retirement or working at finding another job or working at starting a home based business and if you have a model RR set up, you already have your trains where you work! See the logic!
  12. N Gauger

No Man! That's "Take a train to Court Day" That's next month.. :D :D :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D
  13. Vic

Vic Active Member

Just Living Off The Fruit Of The Land!!!

Hi Judy, MOX NIX on all of the above except the trains. :D :D :D

Actually, I'm retired or as my friends say "retarded". What USED to be my home office is now my layout aera... 20' x24'.

But, I never object to making a few bucks.....under the table of course!!!....in cash!!!:D :D :D