Tabs? Do we really need them?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by thewoodengraver, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Assuming that backing tabs are what I call connecting strips, I like em. I've out grown the Fiddlers Green tabs, but can see their value for beginners. Butt joints work for me but I really have to concentrate when cutting out the bulkheads, I'm pushing the edges of my patience with them.

Glueing one cardstock edge to another, as some of the paper gods do here?

Forget about it. At least in my case at this time.

Addendum: The butt joint I meant was bulkhead to bulkhead, like in John's Tempest.
  2. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Okay, now I'm confuzzled.

I thought a butt joint was gluing two edges together? :???: :???: :???:
  3. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Yeah, your right about the meaning of butt joint.
  4. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I'm impressed that you noticed the difference in numbers of squares. Each face of the cube needs four folds. If the pattern were tubular the outermost patterned squares would connect to each other. I had to put an extra layer on the last face to get four folds. It would be a bit more elegant to have one fewer squares, but I haven't figured it out yet.

The plain squares are smaller. The inside cuts are marked with orange lines. I have to figure out how to fold it once I get it cut out. It makes sense to me once it's all scored and folded.
  5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I might as well weigh in on tabs. For the most part i remove them, they add an unreal thickness most of the time, and when I do use them it's usually for strength in a "load bearing part" ie wing joins, flight surfaces to fuselage parts. I've learned from Carl (GoldenBear) the beauty of the butt join, "butt" it is a toughy to master well and sometimes I wimp out and use connector strips, which are backing tabs of a sort. I think a designer of a model that is meant for all levels of ability should include the tabs, with a small suggestion tip that they can be removed for more realism or something. I still use connector strips for fuselage sections and I HATE kits that need them and don't have them included in the kit. Anyways that;s my story and I'm sticken' to it!
  6. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

After keeping up with this thread, I've started saving my larger scraps of card, and my color test prints (regular paper) so I can make these backing tabs/connector strips. They sound just as helpful as tabs, but with better results....
  7. Maurice

Maurice Member

Thanks, I've got it now.
    The 7th plain square is needed to give a fold and not just cut edges along the last edge of the cube.
    Is this double surface technique something you came up with yourself or have you seen it described somewhere ?

8. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I came up with it. It seemed a good way to do things.
  9. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Lizzie, you double walled it so there is an inside layer to glue to. Great idea. Where can I find more of your work? Would like to see it. As to tabs? Don't like the connected tabs, but I use them on a model that I have not built before to see how things go together. If I make another one I make backing tab's for support and alignment. Butt joining is good for small parts as tab's make it hard to put together.
  10. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

To see my work, check the threads containing NOAA in the title. This winter, I've been working on a NOAA fisheries enforcement patrol vessel

I use tape for the same thing. It looks ugly, but I can build quickly and then try different ways of cutting the model appart.

I use some butt joints on small parts, clipped tabs on curved seams, and clipped backing tabs when both surfaces are curved(boat prows).
    I don't like butt joints on ship hulls. They give me visions of water gushing through the seam, sailors swearing while hammering wedges in the crack, and bilge pumps working overtime. I sometimes use what I call furring strips, but I think get called battens by shipwrights. The strips go onto the frame before the skin goes on. :) Come to think of it though, the word "batten" is probably the best term for a backing tab.
  11. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Think your right on batten, lol. I'll check the threads. Thanks for your imput Lizzie.
  12. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

BTW, hows the weather way up north? Cold here in PA right now, about -15 with the wind chill.
  13. Maurice

Maurice Member

My turn to be impressed. :)
  14. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

This Gal writes perty too! When do we get to read your book Lizzie???
  15. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Novel # 2 looks like it will be polished up by October, but I see no sign of an agent or editor right now.

I haven't worked up the nerve to submit my short stories. I've got one going with a type of fishing lure that does an automatic DNA test and releases fish of the wrong species. It reduces by catch.
    It's sort of a food chain story with a fisherman sabotaging the lure to catch the wrong fish, then sneaking illegal catch past an inspector, and finally getting blackmailed by a robin hood character.
    The story breaks several rules about short stores; it starts from the point-of-view of a salmon.

So it will be a long time before you get to see this stuff in print. Thank you for asking. The encouragement is nice.
  16. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I think the Salmon has alot to say, I mean, consider the journey it takes over its lifetime.

I once wrote a short story form the point of view of a Stone. Imagine...this Stone lived for thousands of years. What would it have to say?