Table out of storage

TerrapinStation

Oct 18, 2006
Portland, OR
Hello fellow train fans.

I need some advice on how to bring back to life a setup that has been in storage for several years, I looked through old posts and looks like an eraser and mineral spirits to clean the tracks, some vacuming and regluing are in order. Any other steps you might recommend? I attached a couple pictures hopefully, if not it is about 10 years old and is 8'x4' with 4 electric switches, one loop around the outside and a loop into the mountain returning on a trestle.

Attachments

• train table1.JPG
    train table1.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 171
  • train table7.JPG
    train table7.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 168

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
I'd simply use a couple of pieces of scrap cork roadbed to wipe down the rails real good. I don't like using an eraser because it leaves eraser leavin's all over your ties and scenery. Whatever you decide though, DO NOT use sand paper. That just makes it worse by scratching grooves into your rails that attracts dirt and makes it worse.

TerrapinStation

Oct 18, 2006
Portland, OR
CCT70 said:
I'd simply use a couple of pieces of scrap cork roadbed to wipe down the rails real good. I don't like using an eraser because it leaves eraser leavin's all over your ties and scenery. Whatever you decide though, DO NOT use sand paper. That just makes it worse by scratching grooves into your rails that attracts dirt and makes it worse.

Thanks for the tip (I think I will get a bottle of wine and start my cleaning!) :thumb:

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I would not use mineral spirits for cleaning - try alcohol first. You might want to go as far as a metal polish to remove the oxide on the rail. I agree that you should not use anything abrasive...

Also pay attention to the switches and make sure they function properly. You may need to clean them up, make sure nothing is causing them to stick, that the wiring is ok.

Looks like a great way to get back into the hobby.

Welcome to The Gauge!

Andrew

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
So far the best thing that a lot of us modelers have found good for track and wheels is "Goo Gone" Great stuff! Smell's like orange's too! You can get it at your local hardware store.

TerrapinStation

Oct 18, 2006
Portland, OR
Well took all the good advice, did not take too long and found all the trees in the mountain. It is up a running like a champ but the switches need some re-wiring. I'll poke around in the other threads to see what others are doing.

Post at ya later!