T-Maxxes and Savages

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by mr_chris04, May 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr_chris04

mr_chris04 Member

savage is looking better all the time now thanks alot for ur help guys
    i seen alot of savage and tmaxx vide but i never seen one where someone take sthem both to their limits can someone link me to a vid site with that?
  2. mr_chris04

mr_chris04 Member

i could always upgrade a savage o compete with a tmaxx that might be a fun challenge lol showing up the tmaxx owners, btu it seems that everyone had picked a side and the tmaxx and savage both have strong and weak points but to me its liek this
    savage tmaxx
    tough fast
    durable easy to break
    i fi wanted to spend the extra 200 bucks to make a tmaxx as tough as a savage idd prolly get a tmaxx
    but since the savage is tough and all i really have to do is spend 50 bucks get the reverse pop it in and im off the savage is the choice im gonan go with, i hop eim not dissapointed. dont let me down hpi!
  3. redheat

redheat Member

I have 2 maxxes and I never use reverse so if you get the savage I wouldnt bother with it . Reverse didnt even come to mind when I purchased them.
  4. pimp

pimp Active Member

u can always go broke to a savage cost more and then to get it as goos as a t maxx will cost even more so go with what u want but u can work for your your savage if u want
  5. monsterrcbuilder04

monsterrcbuilder04 Active Member

you can get an xtm 24.7 pro engine that will drop right into the savy and it is so powerfull it will kill the tranny
  6. c496

c496 Member

savage=ok speed
    savage=nice engine, doesn't need coversion for big block

t-maxx=Faster by 5mph
    t-maxx=durability sucks
    t-maxx=engine kinda sorry, cant get big block without conversion

If you get a t-maxx your going to be replacing parts alot. If you keep buying alluminum it's going to get heavy and savages are going to whoop the s.h.i.t out of the maxx.
  7. quinnjere

quinnjere Member

i think the tmaxx is alot easier to work on though i have fixed both and tmaxx parts are alot easier for me to get thats why i would pick the tmaxx.
  8. monsterrcbuilder04

well it depends where you are and what your local shop stocks. my lhs stocks almost all parts for both because he has a savy but a lot of people around here have maxxs. even if you had to order the parts its not a big deal
  9. pimp

pimp Active Member

well u all might say the motor sucks ans it isa 1/10 but u all know that u will get the revo when it comes out so why do u down the t maxx the revo has the same motor and is a carbon copy of the t maxx besides they have fixed all the probs with it .and c496 what u said made no sense at all u said that the t maxx was 5 mph faster and then said that the motor was sorry that was about dumb and u can get a conversion kit for the maxx for less than 100 bux and the savage cost more so it is the same but u get more with a t maxx for the same or cheaper price maxx all the way!
  10. mr_chris04

mr_chris04 Member

well i dunno now im still thinking the savage but now i seen a stadium truck im looking at and im begininng to think its right for me as a starter truck, what do u think?
  11. monsterrcbuilder04

well they are fun but they dont do off road that well. it has low ground clearance so it can get bumped around. they are designed to race
  12. mr_chris04

mr_chris04 Member

i do wanan race and jump stuff anyone know some good stadium trucks?
  13. monsterrcbuilder04

hpi nitro mt or the rush
  14. SellAll

SellAll Member

After all that u decide to get a stadium truck??!! I had a T maxx and went and got a stadium truck it sucks#@$%compared to maxx.
  15. monsterrcbuilder04

the maxx is kind of like a raised stadium truck.you can still race it and it is fast
  16. SellAll

SellAll Member

Nah the maxx has dual a arms 4 wd bigger tires 2 spd and other stuff a stadium doesnt.
  17. cynical

cynical Member

i have 2 say the savage all the way.. i own 3 right now and they just keep getting better... i just bought the xtm 24.7 pro and it hauls ass! best engine i've ever seen..
  18. monsterrcbuilder04

hows the tranny with that engine? i wanted to get it but was told it kills the tranny. why should the suspension arms and tranny make it something different? i f i had a stadium truck i would make it 2 speed. not that it would need it.
  19. olds97_lss

olds97_lss New Member

In order to get a 21 into a maxx, you not only should buy a conversion kit (to make it longer so your not popping wheelies), you have to severly upgrade the trans, diffs and spur. Up until the drop in 21 came out, you had to buy a conversion kit. Now, the 21 drop in is out, but it's around $200 vs getting a conversion kit (XTM 21 conv kit $120) and then you have the ability to put any 21 sized engine in it you want.

I started with a 2.5 maxx and was sorrowly disapointed in it's performance. I converted it to a 21 with the XTM kit ($100 on sale), put in an OS 21 RG-X(P) ($140). Once I did this, it was more fun, but was only the beginning of being more expensive.

Here's my list of needed upgrades to support the power:
    RRP 2 speed steel top shaft - $35
    RRP Forward Primary Steel - $20
    RRP FOC Steel - $25
    RRP 72t Steel Spur - $23
    RRP 20t Steel CB - $10
    Maximizer diff cups - $110

Integy al diff cases to avoid flex - $50
    RD-Logics CVD's - $90
    Traxxas Al Lower Chassis Braces to avoid flex - $50

And this was just the beginning to support the power. After this stuff, I replaced all arms with RPM, the bulkheads (after shattering 8 sets) I replaced with integy Al, bulkhead braces replaced with GH al, the fuel tank (after having 7 of them crack) I replaced with an OFNA buggy tank, the steering servo with a hitech 645MG, got rid of the hidiously ineffective bumpers and skids and replaced with RC-Solutions spring steel skids, replaced the shocks with Supermaxx buggy shocks.

When it was all said and done, I put about $2000 into it. The only things that are still stock are the axle carriers, receiver box and front shock tower. Ask savage owners how much of their truck is still the original parts after 6 months! I did all this inside a year. Most of it was due to the lack of performance I expected out of an MT. I did nothing for looks, everything for functionality.

I just recently tore this thing completely apart so I would quit dumping money and time into it. Even with all that has been done, I was starting to just eat clutches for lunch. Wich would have required me to drop another $100 to convert it to an 1/8 scale clutch.

I bought a savage roller off a guy for $200. That mixed with my current engine, radio and servo's will probably get me a truck that is more durable and dependable than my $2000 maxx ever was or will be.

Good luck in whatever you do. But if you are a power hungry guy like most of us, I would sincerly suggest you get something that comes out of the box with at least a 21 in it or you will not be happy.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.