T-Maxx Help

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by daytondaft, Feb 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daytondaft

daytondaft Member

hey,
    me and my dad went out and beat the crap out of our t-maxx's today but with the beating came some messed up parts. First of all my steering servo is messed up the wheels barely turn and when they do they lock into place and wont move at all (and that is when i am holding the trucks front wheels in the air). so i was woundering if the stock servo is a piece of crap or what,but what would be a good replacement servo for t-maxx 2.5?? The Next thing that is messed up is the low-end of my truck i had probable been driving it for about an hour strong and then gradually the low-end got worse and worse it got to the point where it would take about 10-15 second for it to get going about 20mph. and i know that is not right i was thinking that the engine might have overheated beacause i let it cool for about 10-15 minutes and started it back up and it was back to normal.......only for 5 minutes then it was doing the same thing so what do u guys think is the problem their??? Finaly the last thing messed up are the brakes whenever i apply the brakes i can hear cracking,scraping,clicking comming from the brake servo i think that it might be some striped gears or something but what do u guys think???
    thanks, any comments or suggestions will help

P.S Is it ok to mix Traxxas 20% fuel with Dynamite Blue Thunder 20%fuel and run it in a t-maxx????
  2. mastmec

mastmec Member

The stock steering servo is weak(new) I would suggest a Hitec high torque metal gear servo with bearings with at least 110 inoz torque, they are low cost and well built. But first disconnect the steering from the servo and make sure nothing is binding and repair that fist if found.
    Your acceleration problem sounds as if the piston/sleeve is worn out, it cools and the fit inside gets tighter and it runs better untill it warms back up. Recheck your tuning first before you tear it down and check the fit.
    As far as the braking servo, pull the top off the servo and check the gears. They sell the gear kits for those. Also check all the drive shafts and u-joints and brake assy.
    I've never mixed fuels, buts the different oils in the different brands may not mix well, I would say just run one untill it's gone then use the other, just recheck tuning between the two.
  3. pike

pike Member

word, couldn't have said it better.
  4. daytondaft

daytondaft Member

hey after i replaced the piston sleeve would i have to break the engine in again? also i dont see how my piston sleeve can be worn out i have had my truck for bout a month and a half and only run 1/2 gallon of fuel(at most)
  5. mastmec

mastmec Member

OK, check for air leaks, around carb base, backplate, head gasket. Pin holes in fuel line or a cracked gas tank. It could be overheating and bogging down. How are you checking the temp of the engine? If it has been ran lean for very long, the piston/sleeve could be worn.
    Yes, you will have to break in the new piston/sleeve just as you did when it was new.
  6. mastmec

mastmec Member

Does the engine leak fuel out of it anywhere? That would be the place to start. Also make sure to keep the truck clean, dirty engine will overheat.
  7. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

Send the engine back to Traxxas. It is junk. I will bet you dollars to doughnuts that the piston/sleeve assembly is junk. And traxxas will replace them and say the same. There are soo many complaints about that engine that it is not funny. Traxxas stated that you should get right about 6 to 7 gallons of fuel from that engine and nothing more. I have sold many T and Sport Maxxes to know that tell tale sign of a bad engine. Also look for cracks in the carb that is known to happen too. Along with a slide that binds because of improper clearance. So watch out for runaways.
  8. daytondaft

daytondaft Member

yea i have aleady experienced 2 runaways and the sad thing is it didnt even last past break in it smacked straight into a curb. But since then i have a venom failsafe and throttle return spring but i dont think those will prevent it from doing it again. hey rockn82 would u recomend that i sell the new engine when i get it back and get a serio .18 or something. Because to tell u the truth i expected alot more than what i got from t-maxx, i am only 14 so i dont have much money and everytime i go out and drive it it breaks or something goes wrong. and alot of times i will just be driving up and down the street and it will just go stray and i just sit their and watch it smash into a wall or mailbox or whatever is around. I mean i have had........
    -multiple broken spur gears(Which is fine but it gets worse)
    -Steering servo is crap my truck can hardly turn now
    -Brake Servo is crap the breaks suck and i have tryed ajusting them
    -Runaway truck about 3 times
    -The truck will not switch into high gear anymore
    -overheating problems
    -and now the piston sleeve is all f*cked up witch pretty much means the engine is crap

(ALL OF THIS HAS HAPPENED AND I HAVE ONLY HAD MY TRUCK FOR A MONTH AND 1/2)

i dont know what to do. i love the hobbie but i have had nothing but bad luck so far. if i had a spare grand layin around i would be fine but i dont

sould i sell my t-maxx and try a stadium truck or a buggy or anything that is not going to break driving up and down the street???????????? Help me !!!!!
  9. rstaubach_12

rstaubach_12 Member

With the amount of stuff that sounds wrong on yours I would tear the whole thing down and start rebuilding it. That is the only way you are going to make sure you've fixed everything wrong with it plus it will help you to learn everything about the truck.
  10. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

Well its funny but its not. Every problem you have described I have seen. And the whole Month and a half... yeah thats normal. Thats why the hobby shops push the tmaxx. IT SELLS PARTS. And parts are what make your money (about 50% mark-up). The maxx would be a thousand times better if they didn't hurry the engine development to keep up with the savage. But to speak for the maxx I do know two or three people that have them and have had no trouble with them. The Steering servo is weak and if your pivot balls are too tight then loosening them may help your steering. If you take a file to the slide part of the carb and take off the sharp edge that opens the venturi that will take care of the throttle sticking. For stonger breaks move the lever that actually attaches to the brake by a set screw and move it as far out as you can to increase the leverage on the brake and then readjust the whole brake linkage. Overheating is unfortunately normal. The best cooling head I have seen for the maxx is the Golden Horizons head that runs about 30 bucks. Drops temp by about 30 or so degrees. In order for the maxx to shift (its tempermental) the truck has to hit a steady temp and rpm if the engine is too cold it wont shift. If the engine is too hot it shifts too early. Can you tell I am not a MAXX fan... Any way the Shift point thing will straighten out when you pop on a better cooling head and keep the temp steady. If not then you'll have to readjust it. The Piston/Sleeve problem is all traxxas. They are riddled with bad or defective pistons/sleeves. Again a hurried engine. The spur gears going is most likey due to the fact that the slipper is too tight or too loose (yeah I know sounds dumb right). If it is too loose then the plates heat up and make the plastic brittle because of the friction generated from the pegs. Too tight and you'll kill the spur if the drivetrain comes to a sudden stop. Also check your Spur gear and Clutch bell gear mesh. A new engine is up to you but I would really save up for a better engineered vehicle. And sell that maxx. Seriously out of the all the vehicles that we carry in the store the Maxx takes up the most room for parts. LOL. I just wish Traxxas took a little time and thought it out before they put it out. It has so much more potential... too bad it has to be all aluminum to stand up. OK sorry for raggin on Maxx's but you Maxxers out there know just what I mean.
  11. mastmec

mastmec Member

The spur gear needs the upgrade to a metal gear, Robinson Racing has them, that will solve that problem for good. Get traxxas to repair your engine and sell it for a good OS engine and that will solve that problem too. As far as shifting, once you get the tuning out of the way, you should have no more problems with that after you set it.
    I think the T-maxx is a great truck, yes it has a few issues, but just about every single car out there does too. The only time I broke any parts, was when I was out bashing it or seeing how high I could jump it before it broke. Racing it, I never broke anything, and I ran it stock as far as chassis and suspention. And I race hard. I still have the original T-maxx, and will still out run and out handle all the new trucks out there. And I run a small block OS CVR-X 15, the big block trucks can't touch it.
  12. daytondaft

daytondaft Member

hey,
    thanks for the imput guys i am going to think about it for i while as to if i am going to sell it or just fix it back up
    thanks again,
    Dayton
  13. daytondaft

daytondaft Member

hey mastmec,
    so u have the OS engine in ur t-maxx. how fast does it go? over 50?
    and u said i can send my engine to traxxas and i called them they said it would be about $105??? i thought it was free since it was their fault????
  14. mastmec

mastmec Member

Mine won't hit 50MPH, it's not geared to, I race on a very tight track. Actually Rock said they should fix it for free, I believe they should too, call'em back and talk to someone else, if you only had it a few months they should have no problem with that. But you should check it out first, it could just be a air leak somewhere, and it wouldn't hurt to pull the piston/sleeve and check the pinch to see if it's worn out, then call them if it is.
  15. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

It will cost you a $100.00 if you want a new engine. If you tell them its under warranty thats a different story. Is it under warranty? If it is then all your gonna have to pay is the shipping.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.