T-800 endoskelton.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mousemuffins1, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Mousemuffins1

Mousemuffins1 Member

Okay, i payed WAAAAY to much for this. But I just had to have it. :oops:

The kit is long out of print and rather hard to find.

Printed on glossy paper, about 160gsm in an A4 format. Parts are printed in grey on the back, which is good as alot of it shows on the finished model. Overall the kit a very accurate to the real prop, with the limitations of the medium, but some areas are perhaps a bit too simplified, the hand and feet being the most obvious.

So far, I've nearly completed the chest section and have found the fit to be very precice, but quite fidly in places. Not too difficult, but not for a beginer.

The Silver printed paper is a bit of a two edged sword. On the one hand it marks easily and is probably not really shiney enough to represent the chrome of the original, while on the other hand it IS much better than plain grey, and any stray glue just wipes off with a damp cloth.

I'm building the original kit, but I have scanned the book and will attempt doubling the size at a later date (the kit is half scale..3ft tall...), perhaps building with a foil card for that extra shiney look. This build will also serve as a trouble shooter for the bigger version.

I'm finding Games workshop Mithril Silver good for touch-ups.

2. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

copyright issue

That looks like a very nice model. Your build is coming along well, thanks for sharing the pix.

:cry:Unless otherwise stated by the copyright holder, purchase of the model permits the buyer to build the model once. Violation could be considered piracy (theft of intellectual property).
  3. Loopy

Loopy Member

Beautifull build of an interesting subject!

On the topic of copyright, can this please be clarified, as in many other threads mention is made of people building a scanned copy of their purchased model, either in a different scale or to save a otherwise valuable model in printed form, but still have the pleasure of building the model. Hope that makes sense!

Please post more pics of your build, as this is a great subject!
  4. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

God, I would LOVE to have one of these puppies standing in the corner keeping careful watch over my office. :thumb:

Looking forward to seeing more pics, mousemuffins1 !

edit-- Oooohhhh!! Just had an idea. Have it holding a 1/2 scale version of Jan Rukr's upcoming plasma rifle that these bots were using in the movie. :D

5. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

Possible Copyright Problem

I don't pretend to speak for others but, when I scan a model it is either to rescale it or to ensure that if I ruin a part I can replace it. I generally use the original model for laminating stock (thereby ensuring it is unusable). When the model is complete I delete the scanned image(s). This ensures one model, only, is made for one model purchased. Some designers (pay downloadable) permit you to build as many models as you want from the download. That does not however entitle you to redistribute the download. There are exceptions of course and these are usually clearly stated such as 'Fair Use' or 'Fair Dealing'.

Copyright - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Fair use - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    U.S. Copyright Office - Fair Use

You expect fair compensation for your work, so do the designers of these great models.

There are many models available that you can build multiple copies of.
  6. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Guess I wont be posting pics of my book builds. Because I have no intention of ever destroying the original.

As a former Comic and Book collector, I could never consider putting a knife to a book.
  7. Mousemuffins1

Mousemuffins1 Member

Waayy ahead of you on that one. :mrgreen:

on the subject of copyright. I'm making no profit from this.This kit is long out of print. I paid 4 times the cover price to obtain it. If I could find the original designer of this kit and pay him extra money to make a second copy, I would. But I can't. :confused:
  8. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Looks like you're doing a lovely job Mousemuffins. Can't wait to see the finished product. A 1:1 scale version would be awesome.

9. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

i am jealous. i want one. awsome build. as long as you dont give it to people or sell it you should be able to build as many as you want for youreself!
  10. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

B Manic,
    It is the policy of this site that we do not allow Piracy in any form whatsoever and we do not allow copyright infringement either.
    If you see a post that breaks these rules, I am sure you will let me know about it and I will take swift action.
    On the other side of that coin, it also has always been the policy of this site that if someone has bought a model in hard copy, they are allowed to copy and print off as many copies as they need or want, as long as the kit is not freely distributed or sold for profit. Both of these actions are considered piracy. Piracy = No Toleration

When you buy your own personal copy, you are allowed to scan, resize, print 95 million copies, whatever. As long as you don't break those other rules it's fine and dandy!

No giving, no selling, for personal use only! Amen!

11. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Amen indeed.

On a side note. It's hard to believe this complex model was created with pepakura.
  12. cylon11

cylon11 New Member

WhaaaaaT ?

jawdropAwesome model!!!!

ARMORMAN Guest

Sooo...you're going to ban Jaybats, anyone who has made any Star Wars/ Star Trek models, Webdude for his Wacky Racers, Myself for my OmniDroid, and anyone else who has made models for free distribution because we did not obtain liscences and give these away for free?

14. Kaz

Kaz Member

Wasn't Webdude given Hanna Barbera's blessing for the wacky racers, and why would a website allow adverts for (expensive) baseball cards, and card modelers co-exist? :D
  15. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Sticky point is copyright. But I think what russell is saying, don't make money off the models. Jaybats,Webdude and others don't sell their models, they are downloadable for free.
  16. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Now your being silly.
    Designing a card model and giving it away is a totally different subject.
    I suggest you go back and re-read this thread to see what my post is pertaining too. You have totally taken it out of context.

ARMORMAN Guest

Does not matter; it is still, by definition, piracy. I can tell you that The Great Mouse was horrified to find out I had released the model for free. They don't care whether it's free or paid, they still consider it piracy (though most places turn a blind eye).
  18. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

It's about models you have purchased for personal builds/use with regards to purchasing, building a scan of the purchase and involving it getting into the hands of others.

Buying a $20 model for $80 and cutting up the parts and not having any backup replacement pieces ... well just sucks. Would you wait all that time and shell out another $80?

If it was me ... I would say no.

You could have used available methods to backup a hardcopy and have it available in case you need it?

Think about it.
  19. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Well from a software point of view where this term 'piracy' is derived. You are permitted to make backup's of discs as long as it is one copy and it's for personal use. If that wasn't the case then all the software companies that make backup/copy software would be shut down by goverments and IP firms.

The difference we see here is instead of a cd with 1's and 0's, it's art.

Piracy would be getting/aquiring the item in question without paying for it as one should and/or distributing it through proper means.

If my scanning my own purchased models makes me a pirate then goddamn it ... ARRR!!! You just put an eye patch on me because no way on this damn planet am I going to cut up a book for a model I may not build right.

ARMORMAN Guest

Steve, I'm with you on this. I do the same thing. My comments were toward Amazyah's statement on what is not tolerated, not the original comment that started it. OK, enough hijacking....back to your original subject...Very nice, clean build, sofar ;)