T-55 in design

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by NOBI, Jun 14, 2005.

1. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi There,

After follow thread about Modern Combat Gaming System (MCGS) at http://www.paperworlds.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=578 and i have ask to design some tank for that game...so i decide to make T-55 Medium tank, in 1/72 scale (or 1/100?) use 2 programs to get an unfold job...do a mesh in metaseq (because i similar with metaseq) and make an unfold job in Rhino, in Rhino i can add paneline into model easily than metaseq.

see a progress

First is a resource of this T-55, i research from internet and get a 3 views drawing at http://altnet.ru/~military/btvt/tank/2000/russia/t55/T55.gif

second is load that drawing into metaseq and make a simple mesh, result below.

then import that mesh into Rhino and trace a necessary line...

and create a mesh in Rhino what can unroll with unrollsrf

to be continue :)
  2. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

....looks great nobi. i'm not sure how "modern" the T55 is (introduced '55?). though i'm sure there may be some forces still using it i have received zero requests for it. having said that, i like what you have done with the vehicle. good use of programs. i'm looking forward to seeing your style of armor design. i would suggest the 1/72 scale as this is easliy paired with the huge number of 1/72 soldiers available for gaming. it is also a median scale and can be scaled up or down (by the consumer) for the 20mm, 25mm, and 28mm miniature scales all those gamers use.... keep up the good work my friend. all the best, c.b.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Guys,

Well, the fourth largest military in the world, (Iraq) was using them until........well, we all know what happened there.
    Although they are old, I am sure they are still very capable of "putting the hurt on someone" I mean they were the premiere battle tank of the Soviet Union at one time.
    The Soviet Union was known for arms proliferation at one time,(think AK-47) just like the US,(think F-16 falcon), there are still many countries that use the T-55's, maybe not as their main battle tank (MBT) but in a supporting role in their armed forces.

have a good day,

4. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

....in design for wargamers, the larger consideration is not in what actual vehicle is being used by whom, but who is going to use the model you are designing. if it is a model you hope to sell, you must know if there is another version in a similar scale, perhaps even free. few will buy your model if they can get one similar for free. there are none i know of for the T55 in this case. designability and, vis-a-vis, buildability are also considerations. if it cannot be built in a day by an experienced paper modeler, your chances of sales to gamers are also decreased (read the thread referenced). the hemispheric turret is a bit tricky but is certainly do-able. i wouldn't want to take on a T55 in a humvee (unless i had a TOW), but i do agree they are apache fodder.

"we turn paper modelers into wargamers and wargamers into paper modelers."
  5. charliec

charliec Active Member

Looking good Nobi.

I think you've tapped into a historical era of AFVs where there are few, if any, models. I can't think of a T-55 model although Maly Modelarz had a T-54
    years ago. I don't think there are any models of the T-55's likely European
    opponents the Chieftain and M-60.

6. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi all,

thank you very much for all suggestion, i plan to design this T-55 with very simple method to build...for papermodeler maybe use only 1 or 2 hours to finish this model and for wargamer maybe take a little time more than papermodeler to finish this T-55.

i not have any reason to choose this T-55 for subject of design, i just ask people at paperworlds.com in Modern Combat Gaming System's thread that what model they want to see in paper and evilname (one of members there) give me T-55 so i design follow his answer :p

Day two :p after do mesh in metaseq, import and trace line in Rhino...then add a panel line what must present in finish unroll job. result is below

and then unroll with unrollsrf command, below is example of unroll job of turret :)

with this detail u can increase scale from 1/72 to 1/35 easily :)
  7. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

update picture today for unroll job...that track is 17.5 cm long (in 1/72 scale)

8. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi All,

Day 3 continue working a little bit per day, today just test build and result below

very dirty because it is a hurry build and no need for neat :) now go to coloring state, i can color in coreldraw but it is no weathering but i want this model look good with some weathering. so anybody have a photoshop skill to paint this model look good with weathering and want to paint this model please hand up :p i will release this T-55 for freebie so i want some participate from another modeller too.
  9. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

very nice work....

...good looking beta. once it is colored, the banded look of the turret will look much more like the original. the only change i would suggest would be to double up part of the tracks so you see the printed track on the lower visible track as well as the upper one. i would be happy to color and weather this one for you. as free, it's going to be a very popular model.... great work my friend. all the best, c.b.
  10. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi Nobeltex,

Thank you very much for your suggestion...about track i will do follow your suggestion :)

about color this model...what format of file u can work with? .ai, .psd or .cdr and what color scheme u want to color to? green camou will be cool :)
  11. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

i think....

..the best coloring would be a soviet dark green. a second sand colored version could also be done easily. if you can send it in .tif, that would be prefered. i'll send you a PM. all the best, cliff button
  12. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

day 3

Day 3 and he has a great model printed an assembled...I cant take it

I used a decent portion of a Christmas Vacation once to try and draw, unroll and assemble a 10cm by 10cm cube....I gave up after the netter part of 10 days.....

Nobi you rule keep it going

John John
  13. Darwin

Darwin Member

Nobi, your design is coming along great. The student has surpassed the teacher, my friend.