Switching plans needed

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Hi folks, I need your help. Does anyone have trackplans of small-space switching layouts?

I have a space 32" x 7.5' to work with but I do not want to fill it with track. I plan to have 2 major industries, one an appliance manufacturing complex (of 2-3 buildings) along the back wall and a concrete grain elevator complex at the front of the layout. I would like to scatter a few smaller industries if space permits, such as a freight brokerage and perhaps a cement company.

One final note: there will be no through track as this is at one end of a point-to-point.

Any help will be hugely appreciated!

thanks
:) Val

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Val,

Here's something I did quickly, it's 8' X 2' in HO,

might not be what you are looking for.

Shamus

Attachments

• mod.jpg
    mod.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 400

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Hi aart

I'm chuckling here reading your post. I guess what's happening is I have too much time to think while I'm waiting for the next stage of construction - which is getting the backdrop up. That will finally happen this Monday with my mom's handyman coming over to put in some electrical outlets (the room "currently" has none) and help me wrestle the masonite into place. There's no way I want to tackle that alone - it's definitely a job for 2 people.

Anyway, thanks to all who replied. I have now finalized the track plan. Here it is. Hope to have more progress photos very soon, and expect to be laying track this time next week.

cheers
:D Val

Attachments

• *plan1.jpg
    *plan1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 297

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Val,
That's the ticket! I think you'll be happy with this plan! Can't wait to see it come to life (probably not as much as you though!) :) By the way...did you see the thread about flat car loads? First pic has a load of farm machinery that I think would look great coming out of your M-F plant!
Ralph

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Val!
What a great looking plan! It would make a great little layout on its own.
I especially like the way you've worked in the crossings, & how you've set the tracks leading to the wharf at an angle.
Very nice!

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Originally posted by Charlie
It would make a great little layout on its own.

Hi Charlie, as a matter of fact it will be a little layout on its own for a while. I plan to build this one section at a time. To my way of thinking, it will be easier and more fun to finish this yard fully before moving on to the next part, which will be the city with trolley line, and then the loop, and finally the staging yard at the other end.

Thanks Tyson and Jesper for the words of encouragement. I planned the dock as an add-on simply because it's going to be awhile before I get around to scratchbuilding that grain elevator. More room for track was an added bonus.

cheers
:D Val

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Great idea, Val!
That way, you can have an operational layout up & running, while the next section is under construction.

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
Sounds like you're on the right track Val!! hehehe I can relate to the too much time to think......although my problem is thinking too much before doing anything :p :rolleyes:

Good luck with wrasslin that backdrop into place..can't wait to see it and your first section progress. I'm sure it's all gonna look GREAT!!

I won't be doing much modeling for the rest of the summer, I'm off to Europe for two weeks on the 9th then ponding, gardening and golfing season starts. I will have to model vicariously thru the Gauge masters until next fall.